• On a rain soaked day, the unbeaten men’s rugby team scored in the first minute, never looked back and went on to defeat Vanier 72-5.
• Man of the match was Max Marini who scored 3 times. Scorers also included Raph Cinnini (3 tries), Aiden Mcmullan (2 tries and 6 conversions), Joey Bruzzese (1 try), Jeremy Fleet (1 try), Alex Pantis (1 try) and David Pelosi (1 try).
• On Wednesday they took on McGill Universities reserve side. The team was nervous to start the game, playing against an older, bigger team. But as the game went on they gained confidence. In the end they walked away with a hard fought 22-10 victory. Dana Silerova lead the attack with 2 tries. Erika Scott and Pershia Alaei each added a single, and Kyra Carleton rounded out the scoring with 1 conversion.
• On Sunday the team traveled to Vanier College for their 2nd league game. With many veterans resting, the team had some trouble getting organized at times. They team did show their skill and left triumphant 29-5. Silerova and Kate Quinn each had had 7 points (try and a conversion), while Kate Ross and Jillian Simpson each added a try each.
• Islander lacrosse remained unbeaten following a17-2 win over St-Hyacinthe on Saturday.
• There were 8 different goal scorers with Alan Singleton picking up 8 assists.
• Solid defensive performance by Jerry Boisvert and Curtis McCrae and by goalie David Davidson.
• On Friday night in Montreal East the Islanders suffered their first loss of the season as they got off to a bad start and never recovered in a 57-31 loss to Andre Grasset.
• QB Adam Sinagra completed 19 of 31 passes for 283 yards and 3 TD’s. Skylar Bayliff was his favorite target with 5 catches for 66 yards and a TD, Joey Vizzi had 4 catches for 53 while Jaylon Gandison had 4 for 57 yards.
• Glody Musanga and Patrick Giroux also scored touchdowns.
• Middle linebacker Pat Smith had a huge game with 8 unassisted tackles and 5 assisted tackle and 1 for a loss.
• On Friday night in St-Lambert the Lady Isles suffered their first loss of the season 2-1 to Champlain. Claudia Asselin scored the lone Abbott goal in the first half.
• Playing at home on Sunday they battled Ahuntsic, defending provincial and national champions, to a 2-2 draw in a very well-played game.
• After falling behind 1-0 Asselin and then Erin Mink scored before half time for the 2-1-2 Lady Isles.
• The Lady Islanders won their first game of the season on Saturday night in a shootout 4-3 over Rimouski. Scoring in regulation time were Sarah-Eve Mailhot, Charlotte Brouchu, and Lydia Boyer.
• Erika Pharand scored the deciding goal in the shootout.
• The Isles outshot the Pionnieres 36-27.
• In game 1 of 2 on Sunday, the Isles won their first game of the season 19-2 against Maisonneuve. Though offensively the Isles once again suffered from too many dropped passes. QB Maude Lacasse threw very well however was only able to complete 15 of 36 passes for 185 yards and 2 TD’s.
• Madison Grenier had 5 catches for 49 yards and 1 TD, and Fred Lalonde had 4 catches for 100 yards and 1 TD. Mikhayla Patterson was a great outlet for Lacasse catching 4 passes for 32 yards.
• Defensively, the Isles shut out the Vikings offense (2pt safety was credited to the Vikings defense). Starring on defense were Lacasse with 5 flag pulls, 4 knockdowns, and 2 interceptions – one for a TD. Grenier had 6 flags and one knockdown, Lalonde had 9 flags and 1 knockdown. Rookies Laura Berube had 9 flags and 3 knockdowns, and Brittany Savage had 8 flags, 1 knockdown, and 1 interception.
• In game 2 the Lady Isles battled Mother Nature and undefeated Lionel Groulx in a 24-2 loss.
• Playing on a difficult course in Waterloo Quebec, the golf team struggled to match last week’s good play. Once again the team was led by David Huxham T3 (40-37=77) followed by Mathieu McDougall T10 (39-42=81), Warren Sellors T15 (42-42=84), Emilie Tyndall T18 (42-43-85) and Daniel Robinson T22 (44-46=90). The Islanders are 3rd overall heading into next week’s Provincials in Sorel Quebec.
• Playing with only 9 players the ladies lost three games at the Pre-Season Collegiate Challenge in Gatineau this past weekend. On Friday night they had a tough 52-46 loss to Algonquin College. Veteran guard Latifah Roach who had a game-high 23 points while rookie Darnelle Noel chipped in with 11 points.
• The following day they behind early in a 63-54 defeat at the hands of St. Lawrence College. Roach and Jaslin Khera led the Islanders with 14 points while first-year guard Sabrina Plamendeon had 11.
• An inability to score proved to be fatal Sunday as Fanshawe College outlasted JAC 49-35. Chantelle Haughton led the Islanders with 10 points.
GATORAGE ISLANDER ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
The Gatorade Islander Athlete of the Week is rookie outside center with the Islander rugby team Max Marini who scored 3 tries in a win over Vanier on Sunday.
JOHN ABBOTT IN ACTION THIS WEEK
|Tues., Sept. 23||19h45||Edouard-Montpetit at baseball||Springate Park|
|Fri., Sept. 26||19h00||Men’s rugby at Andre-Laurendeau||Park Queen Elizabeth|
|19h30||Women’s hockey at St-Laurent||St-Laurent|
|20h00||Men’s soccer at Vanier||St-Laurent|
|20h00||Baseball at Lionel Groulx||Ste-Therese|
|Sat., Sept. 27||13h00||St-Jean at football “HOMECOMING”||Memorial Field|
|12h00||Baseball at Assomption||Assomption|
|13h00||Lacrosse at Brebeuf||Montreal|
|TBA||Golf provincial championships – Round 1||Sorel|
|TBA||Cross country at Laval||Laval|
|Sun., Sept. 28||9h00||Women’s volleyball tournament # 1||Casgrain Gym|
|11h00||Women’s soccer at Ste-Foy||Ste-Foy|
|TBA||Golf provincial championships – Round 2||Sorel|
|12h30||Flag football vs St-Jean||Montreal|
|16h00||Flag football vs Trois-Rivieres||Montreal|