- The Islander men’s basketball team continues to improve as they prepare for the upcoming RSEQ Provincial Championships hosted by College Montmorency in Laval March 7 & 8. This past Sunday was a potential preview of a semi-final matchup between the second place Islanders and Vanier College. The Isles came out strong in the first half, and took a five point lead into the locker room 39-34.
- The Isles continued their strong play in the third quarter, and increased their lead to double digits. But the Cheetahs were able to cut into the lead, getting it to single digits at the end of the third 56-52. The fourth quarter was all Islanders, playing at both ends of floor; the Isles outscored the Cheetahs by 11 to win the game by a final score of 84-73. Top performers were Keevon Small with 23 points, Amadou Diene and Thomas St. Louis each had 11 apiece and Isaac Netto with 10.
- An Islander win over Montmorency at home this Friday and a loss by Champlain at Ste-Foy will put the 12-5 Isles in first place.
- The women’s team’s lack of offence in the first half of games continued to plague the team on Sunday afternoon as they dropped a 62-43 decision to the playoff-bound Trois-Rivieres Diablos. Trois-Rivieres led 40-16 at halftime and extended their margin to 52-23 before the Islanders finished the game on a 20-10 run.
- Latifah Roach led John Abbott with 10 points and eight rebounds while Alexa Fox scored eight and had a team-high nine rebounds
- The Lady Isles dropped a pair of games this past weekend. Playing at home on Saturday they were doubled up by Lionel Groulx 4-2. Captain Charlotte Brochu scored on a blast from the point in the first period and Samantha Tayler potted one in the third period.
- On Sunday Erika Pharand scored the lone Abbott goal in an 8-1 loss to Dawson in Pierrefonds.
- The Isles had their best result in 3 tournaments posting a 6-3 record on Sunday at Marianopolis. However for the 4th time this year they fell one win short of moving up a section. The day started out good with a 2-1 victory vs Marianopolis 21-25, 26-24, 25-22, a let-down vs Ahuntsic 18-25, 25-23, 22-25, followed up by an easy victory over winless Bois de Boulogne 25-17, 25-18, 25-22. Already eliminated from playoff contention the Isles will wrap up the season on March 15th in the last league tournament.
- The Juvenile Club team had more success as they placed 3rd in an invitational tournament on Saturday. This team combines 4 current Islanders with 6 grade 11 students from 5 different high schools.
GATORADE ISLANDER ATHLETES OF THE WEEK
- The Gatorade Islander Athletes of the Week are the second place Islander men’s basketball team (12-5) who have begun to show some improved play after a slow start to the second semester.
JOHN ABBOTT IN ACTION THIS WEEK
|Fri., Feb. 27||18h30||Montmorency vs women’s basketball||Casgrain gym|
|19h30||Swim meet at Outaouais||Gatineau|
|20h30||Montmorency vs men’s basketball||Casgrain gym|
|Sat., Feb. 28||16h15||Women’s hockey at Champlain||Lennoxville|
|TBA||Women’s soccer at McGill Indoor||Montreal|