ABBOTT SWIMMERS DOMINATE REGIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP
- This past Sunday at CEGEP Vieux Montreal, and with all 10 Sud-Ouest Conference teams in attendance, John Abbott swimmers won the Women’s title, Men’s title, Combined title and the Overall Season Conference title. In total Islander Swimmers amassed a total of 1482 points almost doubling their closest rivals: Maisonneuve with 793 points and St-Jerome with 643 points.
- Isabelle Brathwaite was simply outstanding for the Women’s team winning all 3 of her freestyle events and swimming on both gold medal relays. Teammate Nathalie Paquin won the 50m fly, came 2nd in the 50m Free, and swam on both gold medal relays. Other individual medalists were Caroline Di Vita with two silvers, a bronze and a gold on the relay, Emma O’Donnell with a silver in the 100m IM and a gold on the medal medley relay, Melanie Nguyen won three individual medals and a gold on the medley relay, and Pascale Robins swimming on the gold medal free relay.
- On the Men’s side, Brandon Adams won five gold medals, three individually and two on the relays. Mitchell Grant swam to two golds in both breaststrokes and swam on the gold medal medley relay. Alex Baciu placed 2nd in the 50m Free, anchored two gold medal relays, and won the 50m fly in the B division. Daniel Grout had his best meet so far this year winning the 100m free, placing second in the 100m fly, and swam on the silver medal free relay. Alex Ingrouille won the 200m free and swam on a gold and silver medal relay. Nicolas Lebrun won silver in the 50m back, bronze in the 100m free and a gold and silver on both relays. Captain Nick Salama-Siroishka swam to gold on the free relay and individually won a silver and bronze in the 200m free and 100m fly. Connor Graham placed 2nd in the 100m backstroke with his best time this year. Felix Lalande placed 2nd in the 100m free and swam on a silver medal relay. Rafael Lacerte was outstanding in the B division experiencing huge drops in time in all three individual events and won the 50m free in the B division.
- Also worth mentioning, Abbott’s Men’s relays winning both gold and silver in the free and medley relays, and placing 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th in the Men’s 100 freestyle.
- Next and final challenge for the Islander’s is to win its 7th consecutive Provincial Championship being held at Pointe Claire March 28 & 29th. All Abbott supporters are invited to come out and support us
- The Isles finished the year on a big high as they won their last tournament of the year, beating André Laurendeau 25-12, 25-17, 24-26, Ahunstic 18-25, 25-23, 25-19 and Bois de Boulogne 25-21, 25-16, 25-19.
- The team could have as many as 8 returning players next year with a good crop of recruits. The Isles are definitely looking to be playoff contenders next year in the ever changing landscape of men’s volleyball.
- In their last matches as Islanders both Max Roderbourg and Michael Frappier ended their days will kills, with Frappier sealing the victory and first place for the day on match point vs Bois de Boulogne.
- The Isles will continue to prep for club Provincials on May 2-3 with a team consisting of 4 current Islanders and 6 high school recruits.
- The Lady Islanders are closing out their season with three straight weekends with 2 games. In the first of the three weekends the Lady Isles dropped a pair of games.
- Playing at home on Friday night they lost 4-1 to Edouard-Montpetit with Sherry Duncan scoring the lone Abbott goal, assisted by Sophie Royer.
- On Saturday in Quebec City they were shutout 12-0 by first place Limoilou.
GATORADE ISLANDER ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
- The Gatorade Islander Athlete of the Week is swimmer Isabelle Braithwaite who was simply outstanding for the women’s team winning all 3 of her freestyle events and swimming on both gold medal relay teams.
JOHN ABBOTT IN ACTION THIS WEEK
|Sat., Mar. 21||16h45||St-Laurent at women’s hockey||MAC Arena|
|Sun., Mar. 22||12h15||Rimouski at women’s hockey||MAC Arena|