Students visited the Federal Training Centre in Laval earlier this semester as part of their Fieldwork 1 course. In this course, students visit 6 to 8 different facilities ranging from YMCAs, to the Old Brewery Mission, to federal or provincial prisons and penitentiaries. The Federal Training Centre is a minimum to medium security institution. Students visited cell blocks encompassing individual and group housing, were introduced to the procedures of canine units and prisoner transport, toured the Centre’s grounds, library, and garment work and auto body training centres, and conversed with guards and inmates, many of whom are serving lengthy or life sentences. Teacher Barbara Ruttenberg’s efforts to obtain permission for our students to visit a wide variety of institutions give them an eye-opening introduction to the realities of our correctional system.
- AT JOHN ABBOTT COLLEGE, Without A Yes, It’s A No! February 8, 2018
- OPEN HOUSE WAS A FULL HOUSE AT JOHN ABBOTT COLLEGE February 1, 2018
- Transition Towards a Smoke-Free Environment January 16, 2018
- ONLINE registration opens at 9:00 a.m. on Wednesday, January 10 January 16, 2018
- Hall of Distinction January 15, 2018