Our Graphic & Web Design (GWD) program offers students the opportunity to develop skills in website interface design and integration, graphic design and publication production – skills needed by today’s businesses. In their final semester, students apply the knowledge and skills they have acquired by entering the workplace for a three-week fieldwork placement.
Although there are no prerequisites, the ideal candidate for the program is interested in creating digital art and designing with the latest Adobe software while bringing ideas to life online using CSS and HTML.
Candidates are also interested in understanding more about graphic design, photography, branding, social media marketing, video editing, and animation.
AS A GRAPHIC STUDENT YOU WILL LEARN TO:
- design and integrate complex website interfaces in a variety of styles from artistic and expressive, to grid-based, to the clean and sleek “corporate” aesthetic preferred by businesses,
- design and create branding identity packages including brochures, business cards, logos and stationary as well as posters, ads, flyers, calendars, newsletters, books and manuals, CD jackets and commercial packaging,
- create, scan, trace and modify drawings on the computer for logos and illustrations,
- create web animations using drawings, images and sound,
- shoot and edit digital photographs and videos,
- set up and start up your own design business.
WE ARE DESIGN ORIENTED!
Graphic and Web Design students focus on learning the following specialized design skills:
- Principles of 2D composition and layout for screen or printed page
- Illustration, photography and video design
- Responsive layouts for web design
- Search Engine and Social Media Optimization
WE ARE SOFTWARE ORIENTED!
The focus is on learning the following specialized design software:
- Adobe ® Photoshop
- Adobe ® Illustrator
- Adobe ® InDesign
- Adobe ® Acrobat
- Adobe ® Dreamweaver
- Adobe ® Premiere
- Adobe ® Lightroom
- HTML and CSS
- Apache, MySQL, PHP and WordPress
THIS PROGRAM IS FOR YOU IF…
- You are creative.
- You possess good people skills.
- You enjoy working with computers and different software.
- You have strong verbal and written communication skills.
- You are highly motivated.
WHERE GRAPHIC AND WEB DESIGN CAN TAKE YOU!
Some of our graduates become designers for large and small businesses that need to produce a wide variety of print and electronic documents with sophisticated graphic design and appeal. Others go into business for themselves as designers and marketers.
A third of our students go on to further education in a variety of fields, such as graphic design, marketing, computer systems, and 3D animation.
You can submit your job stage/internship offers for this program through the following link: click here
For complete list of courses, please view the Courses by program.
CEGEP ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
A Secondary School Diploma which includes:
Secondary 5 Language of Instruction, Secondary 5 Second Language, Secondary 4 Mathematics, Secondary 4 Science and Technology or Secondary 4 Applied Science and Technology, Secondary 4 History and Citizenship Education.
OR a Secondary School Vocational Diploma which includes:
Secondary 5 Language of Instruction, Secondary 5 Second Language, Secondary 4 Mathematics.
OR Applicants who have not studied in Québec must have education deemed equivalent by the College.
No specific prerequisites are required for this program.
HOW DO I APPLY:
John Abbott College is affiliated with the Service régional d’admission du Montréal métropolitain (SRAM) and uses its online application service.
The application deadline is March 1 (Fall semester). Warning: The documents and payment must be submitted by the deadline.
Program start: Fall
- Complete the online application at admission.sram.qc.ca
- Select John Abbott and the program of your choice along with the corresponding SRAM program number: 412.AB
- If applicable, mail in photocopies of all required documents and the application fee.
Students whose prerequisites are more than five years old should contact the Admissions office.
514 457-6610 x5361, 5355 & 5358
for a Day
We welcome and encourage interested students to be a Student for a Day.
Follow this link to begin this process: Student for a Day Program
What kind of computer will I need in Graphic & Web Design?
The most important consideration for a computer used in the graphic & web design industry is its ability to run the Adobe Creative Cloud suite of applications fast and well. Since the applications are available for Mac and PC, the choice of platform is really one of personal preference.
Most students prefer a laptop for it’s portability. It is easier to use one machine all the time, instead of switching in between school and home computers.
- The computer should have 16Gb of RAM (or more).
- The video card should be fairly powerful (but not necessarily what would be required for gaming).
- The hard drive should at the very least be 500Gb, but you can easily extend the storage with cheap external drives.
- The screen should be 15” or larger because the Adobe applications use many palettes that take up screen space.
The department’s recommendation is a Macbook Pro. For the following reasons:
- Can run Windows and Linux operating systems natively or in virtual machines (VMs are great for browser testing). Three computers for the price of one.
- Time Machine backup utility is so easy to use and can save you from catastrophic data loss (some sort of computer failure is not a question of “if” but “when”).
- Apple hardware is premium quality and usually last many years.
- Runs Mac OS X which is very similar to Linux and Unix; ie connecting to Linux web servers via Terminal is built-in.
- Journaled HFS+ file system helps prevent data corruption. There is no equivalent technology for Windows.
- 2 out of 3 Graphic & Web design labs are Mac labs.
- Macs can run an iOS emulator so you can test web designs on iPhones and iPads without having to buy a real iOS device.
Bottom line, buy the best computer you can afford. If you choose to buy a PC, buy a good (ie more expensive) one. The $350 Back-to-School special won’t last and you will feel like your investment was wasted.
Useful Software & Services
File synchronization services
Web Browser Utilities
- Filezilla (Cross-platform. Do not download server version, use client version.)
Web Testing Servers
- MAMP (Cross-platform.)
- Bitnami (Free. Recommended. Cross-platform.)
- WAMP (Windows)
- XAMPP (Cross-platform.)
Web Site Hosting