John Abbott College Casgrain pool employs approximately 60 lifeguards and swimming lesson instructors as well as additional lifesaving and aquafit instructors each year.
In order to be eligible to work as a lifeguard and swimming lesson instructor at the Casgrain pool, candidates must be full-time at John Abbott College student in good academic standing.
The majority of the staff are hired in September of each year. Students may apply directly through the Student Employment Centre via the Omnivox My JAC Portal. The posting goes in August; the deadline to apply is the Friday of the first week of classes.
Under the direct supervision of the pool technician, the student-swimming instructor/ lifeguard shall perform the following duties:
- Provide surveillance of the pool to ensure a safe swimming environment, proper use of equipment, proper attire and a pleasant ambiance of the pool area
- Instruct Red Cross lesson program on nights and weekends
- Prepare the pool area for classes and activities as required
- Light maintenance as required such as cleaning and sweeping the pool deck, shower areas and saunas
- Provide information to the various users of the John Abbott College Casgrain Sports Centre
- Provide assistance in the maintenance of proper chemical levels of the pool as required
- Attend staff meetings and staff training as scheduled
- Work as a replacement instructor/ lifeguard as needed
- Maintain a good academic standing as per the JAC Student Hiring Policy (verified by the Student Employment Centre)
- Perform any other related task as required
- Full-time John Abbott student in good academic standing
- Hold a valid National Lifeguard certification (pool option)
- Hold a valid Red Cross Water Safety Instructor certification (preferred) or Olympic Way Instructor (an asset)
- Must be bilingual (both English and French oral and written)
- Availability must include evenings and weekends
- Must enjoy working with the public
- Lifesaving Society Instructor (an asset)
- Teaching or coaching experience in other aquatic activities is an asset.