If you notice the beginning of a fire or detect smoke, FIRST ENSURE YOUR SAFETY, then:
- Pull the fire alarm pull station and call Campus Security
- Remove or evacuate any persons in the immediate proximity of the fire
- If safe to do so:
- Close off the area of the fire (close windows and doors)
- Use a fire extinguisher on the fire
When the alarm sounds:
When a fire alarm signal is heard, it indicates that all occupants must evacuate the building using the nearest exit.
As soon as an alarm signal is heard, occupants must:
- Be attentive to any messages given over the intercom
- Remain calm and evacuate immediately using the staircases only
- Do not use the elevator
- Follow the Area Wardens’ instructions
- Follow the evacuation procedures
- Go to the designated gathering points
- Stay in groups, at least 30 metres from the building and wait for further information.