The English Academic Immersion Program at John Abbott College is designed for students from Canton de Vaud, Switzerland, to provide them with the opportunity to obtain Swiss academic credits, while immersing themselves in Canadian life and culture. Particular attention is paid to students’ involvement in Canadian life and participation in courses, programming and activities that will allow them to improve their English language skills.
*Participants must be at least 16 years of age on the first day of classes
Welcome to Canada
Canada is one of the safest and most prosperous countries in the world. Every year, people from around the globe choose to live, work and study in Canada. The welcoming nature of the Canadian people and their multicultural heritage makes experiencing the culture most enjoyable.
Founded in 1642, Montreal is one of North America’s oldest cities. Montreal is a cosmopolitan, urban centre with an ever-present creative and energetic flair. Often referred to as a festival city due to the numerous and varied festivals that take place in Montreal, students have the chance to experience the best of live music, art, sports, and many more all year long.
Charming Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue, home to John Abbott College, is located between two beautiful lakes on the western tip of the island of Montreal. Famous for its’ quaint shops, farmers’ market, and charming restaurant-lined boardwalk, Ste-Anne’s, as it’s known by locals, is the perfect place for students to enjoy the fresh air and scenery for which Canada is famous.
Homestay is a unique opportunity to live with an English speaking family near the College. You will enjoy practicing English in the family home and learn firsthand what it means to live in Canada. A furnished bedroom and three meals a day (plus snacks) are part of the homestay program.
Host families are located an average 50-minute bus ride from John Abbott College via Montreal’s clean, comfortable, and efficient public transportation system.
Host families share their day-to-day life with international students, including leisure activities and outings. All host families are screened by John Abbott College. They are selected to ensure a fulfilling and cultural experience. A member of the College staff is available 24/7 to assist students with personal matters.
With 9 Pre-University programs and 13 Career programs, John Abbott College possesses expertise in a wide array of academic areas. International students who participate in our English Academic Immersion Program will benefit from our expertise.
Students are registered in 7 academic courses alongside Canadian students:
- Language (German or Italian)
- Physical Education (basketball, volleyball, kayaking, yoga, martial arts, CrossFit, squash, golf, and more)
- Option course (psychology, philosophy, biology, chemistry, German, Italian, visual arts, physics, history)
Personal Diploma Research Project
Students will work with a JAC staff member on the development and production of your personal project.
Academic Support Services
The College Academic Success Centre (ASC) will help you to be a more successful and independent learner in all of your college courses. Available to all of the JAC community as an effective, relevant and open resource the ASC offers the following services and resources:
- English second language tutoring;
- Peer tutoring;
- Online tutoring;
- Custom one-on-one tutoring;
- Workshops in the following areas: exam preparation, study skills, time management, and more.
The Student Activities department at John Abbott plays an important role in strengthening the communication and leadership skills among both local and international students. Thirty student clubs such as student government, newspaper, and radio station thrive on campus.
Many, many, many, fun activities are also organized to help reduce stress for students, such as:
- Intramural sports like ball hockey, basketball, badminton, volleyball and more.
- Stand-up comedians, bands, magicians and other entertainers also perform shows regularly throughout the year.
Other JAC Clubs you can join: anime, educational activism, environmental, model United Nations, fitness, breakdancing, kayaking, outdoor adventure club, rock climbing, squash, Chinese club, Hillel, Christian Fellowship, Muslim students association, Pagan, chess, gamers (role playing), and more!
Joining a club is a great way to improve your English skills and meet Canadian students.
Athletes can participate in JAC varsity athletics programs ($): American football, flag football, soccer, swimming, volleyball, baseball, rugby, lacrosse and ice hockey.
You can also take weekend trips ($) to amazing North American cities, like:
- Toronto and Niagara Falls
- Quebec City
- New York City
And during the winter, you can go skiing in various locations throughout Québec!
Support for Students
Support for students is a priority for John Abbott College. The International Programs Office collaborates with the Student Services department to ensure that all students feel comfortable, personally, socially, and academically during their stay in Montreal.
The following services are available to you during your stay at JAC:
- 24 / 7 emergency access to an International Programs Office staff member;
- College nurses discuss health concerns and health choices, nutrition, emotional well-being, stress, and more;
- Psychologists are available to assist you with personal, career, and educational concerns;
A doctor is available at the on-campus medical clinic.
Full insurance coverage is provided for all students from Canton de Vaud. Details of the insurance package can be found here.
*Please contact the Canton de Vaud representative for application deadlines.
- Mid-August 2017 to late December 2017
- Mid-January 2018 to late May 2018
- Activities will be organized for students including but not limited to:
- Day trip to Ottawa or Quebec City
- 2 night trip to Toronto and Niagara Falls
- Activities in and around Montreal
- Students will participate in a special course highlighting Montreal’s culture and history and highlighting their year long experience in Canada.
International Programs Office
Herzberg Building, room 416
Tel.: +1 (514) 457 6610, ext. 5469