BREAKDOWN OF SERVICES AVAILABLE FOR STUDENTS
- Academic Advising: (MIO: Academic Advising) or email; email@example.com
You may also book a virtual appointment by clicking on the Academic Advisor Appointment module on the Portal. For information on authorized absences (IN notation) related to COVID-19 email; firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Academic Success Centre (ASC): (MIO: Academic success) or email; email@example.com for online essay writing support for college papers, ESL (English Second Language) support along with online peer tutoring on many of the college’s current subjects. Also, the ASC offers workshops on online test
taking and essay writing.
- Access Centre: Access to accommodations for students requiring online accommodations and assistance; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Campus Store: Books and course packs can be purchased online at jac.bookware3000.ca. Pick up & delivery options available.
- Diversity & Social Equity office: Cultural and Online Citizenship guidance: send an MIO or Email to either DiversityAndSocialEquity@johnabbott.qc.ca or Audrey.Greenberg@johnabbott.qc.ca
- Financial Assistance: *See JAC Portal for online applications for Scholarships and Bursaries
– have student contact Anne-Marie Lafond by; (MIO: Financial assistance) or email; email@example.com
– Scholarship applications – see JAC Portal or email; firstname.lastname@example.org
– Bursary applications – see JAC Portal or email; email@example.com
– ARE YOU A STUDENT STRUGGLING WITH FINANCIAL DIFFICULTIES? WE CAN HELP!
Click here for info.
- First Year College Experience office (FYCE): First year students who are struggling with their course load or have other academic questions are invited to MIO: Anthony Haddad
- Food Pantry: contact Joanne Watson; firstname.lastname@example.org to see how we can assist in providing services for students in need.
- Health and Wellness Centre: If you need to contact the Health and Wellness Centre please send an email: email@example.com
- Indigenous Student Resource Centre: Contact Sabrina by email firstname.lastname@example.org or Louise: email@example.com
- If you need advice regarding technical problems, such as using your Office.com account, Microsoft Teams, etc., you can reach out for help by calling 514-457-6610 Extension 3333 or by going to the Microsoft Team called Student Peer Online Support Group (click on “Join or create team” and use Search if you cannot see it among your Teams).
- Language Resource Centre: Access to the Language Resource Centre in the Fall 2020 will be allowed, following health and safety guidelines.
- Online Library media services: this guide is to help John Abbott College students and faculty access and use the resources available to them through the Library. All these resources are accessible from off-campus. Library Electronic Resources Guide
**if you need additional help, please do not hesitate to email the Library Reference Services at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Online Technology Problems: Are you having difficulties with connecting to your on-line courses? Send an MIO to William Mahon who will try to help you work through some of the issues you maybe experiencing.
- Psychological & Career Counselling: MIO: General Counselling, or email; Counselling@johnabbott.qc.ca and a Counselor will evaluate the best way to support the student remotely, unless a referral to a community organization is more appropriate. Our Omnivox Community titled Counselling Service – Resources for Students includes a list of crisis services and helplines, as well as resources to help you practice good self-care and manage feelings of anxiety, loneliness, and boredom related to COVID-19.***Please note that our department is offering remote wellness workshops (Christine Farmer by MIO to sign-up) and discussion groups pertaining to adjustment to life during the pandemic (contact Sheldon Lewis by MIO to sign-up).***
- Registrar office: All departments in the Registrar’s Office are monitoring their emails and MIO during the closure. For general questions and questions about transcripts or letters of attendance, email; email@example.com, For Admissions questions email; firstname.lastname@example.org or; (MIO: Admissions Office) For Student Record email; email@example.com For Scheduling and Registration email; firstname.lastname@example.org. For information on authorized absences related to COVID-19 email; email@example.com.
- Residence-Stewart apartments service: Contact Roxanne Dupuis: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sandbox: A virtual version of the Sandbox will be running in the Fall. Please contact Shannon.Coulteremail@example.com for more information.
Sports and Recreation:
- Sustainability: JAC Sustainability Activities are still ongoing and are being executed via the Sustainability Committee. Please contact Shannon.Coulterfirstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Student Activities: offers a variety of engaging in-person and virtual activities and events: – You can email: email@example.com or MIO: Student Activities to ask any general questions on- Clubs
– College ID Cards
– Mini Courses
– New Student Orientation
– Reduced Fare for OPUS Cards
– An idea for an activity you would like to propose or help organize
- Stewart Cafeteria, JAC Bistro & OVAL Coffee House: it is difficult to identify proper scenarios at this present time…once the information is received and confirmed by the Santé Publique we will advise the JAC community
Student Employment Centre (SEC): please contact Joanne Watson; firstname.lastname@example.org
CV information; Carrefour Jeunesse emploi Ouest de l’Ile offers online services : https://www.cjeouestile.qc.ca/
- Student Union (SUJAC): contact by email; email@example.com
- Writing Centre is now online and ready to help support you this term with your reading and writing assignments. Here are the steps:
1) Join “Writing Centre” TEAM by clicking or typing “Writing Centre” in the Microsoft TEAMS search bar. You can also click: https://teams.microsoft.com/l/team/19%3ac16baf89dffa4bd8927c6450b59df220%40thread. tacv2/conversations?groupId=a8b7fd36-02f9-4748-833f-a534f51e9406&tenantId=22c202c2-382c-447b-a023d0a866d1d426
2) Once you have joined the “Writing Centre” team as a member you can post a message in the “General” page asking for help from a tutor, such as: “Hi, is there a tutor who can help me?” A tutor will then post a reply and set up a private channel for you to join.
3) Your tutoring session whether it be by video/audio or live chat will take place in that private channel created by the tutor under their name.
- Not in operation during the COVID-19 epidemic:
* Legal Advisory services (postponed at the present time)