Students visited the Federal Training Centre in Laval earlier this semester as part of their Fieldwork 1 course. In this course, students visit 6 to 8 different facilities ranging from YMCAs, to the Old Brewery Mission, to federal or provincial prisons and penitentiaries. The Federal Training Centre is a minimum to medium security institution. Students visited cell blocks encompassing individual and group housing, were introduced to the procedures of canine units and prisoner transport, toured the Centre’s grounds, library, and garment work and auto body training centres, and conversed with guards and inmates, many of whom are serving lengthy or life sentences. Teacher Barbara Ruttenberg’s efforts to obtain permission for our students to visit a wide variety of institutions give them an eye-opening introduction to the realities of our correctional system.
- Blood Drive this week at JAC September 10, 2018
- Physics Making Class Fun with Smartphones September 5, 2018
- JAC Academic Dean Appointed to the Conseil supérieur de l’éducation du Québec August 23, 2018
- Two Grants Awarded to JAC Biology Teacher August 1, 2018
- Research Grant Awarded to JAC Math Teacher July 31, 2018