COVID-19 related FAQ

If you cannot find the answer to your question in the list below, please send us an email:




Update - January 7, 2022

Dear Students of John Abbott College,

We hope you have had a restful holiday season and that you were able to share some time with those closest to you.

In a meeting with Montreal public health officials on January 5th it became obvious that, with the evolution of hospitalizations caused by the COVID-19 Omicron variant, and our health system’s present inability to test and track positive cases, the risk of attempting a “normal start” to the semester has become unacceptable.

We have therefore made the decision that the winter semester for the Day Sector and for Continuing Education evening credit courses will begin mostly online. Classes will be mainly online through January, and likely through February. We were hoping to receive further clarifications from the Ministry of Higher Education, but to help our community to be as well prepared as possible, we have made the decision this week (like many universities and colleges).

Here are a few additional clarifications.

  1. Some courses will still have an on-site component in the initial weeks if necessary for acquiring or evaluating the competency. In the Schedule of Classes, we are currently uploading tentative plans for how each course will be delivered until we are able to fully return to campus. Tentative plans will be available in the Schedule of Classes by January 10 and updated as needed for any final changes by noon on January 14, prior to the January 17 start of classes.
  2. For the online component of courses, the principle platforms will be LEA, Teams and Moodle. Other software may be used for the submission of essays or projects or for testing.
  3. Please see the attached Student Guide for important information on how to access these platforms here. Your teachers will be using one or more of them for important information about your courses, so you should become familiar with them before classes and also check your MIO messages.
  4. If you need a laptop loan or have other concerns about access to online courses (e.g. Internet connection), you can contact
  5. The government expects most of our services to be provided online if possible. We are currently updating information on those services on the One-Stop Shop, which you can find on the left-hand side of the home page of JAC’s Omnivox Portal (under My College Services). However, in order to ensure you have access to Library facilities, including equipment and space to follow your courses if needed, the Library will be open as of January 17.
  6. The number of entrances that are open may be reduced in order to facilitate compliance with health measures, but the Casgrain entrance will always provide access, and we will also ensure access to all buildings.
  7. If you need to travel during curfew hours due to an Abbott course or stage/clinical placement, you will need to provide your student ID and schedule.

We will inform you of JAC’s implementation of any Ministry directives as they are received.

We want to wish you the very best for the coming semester, regardless of the challenges we all continue to face, and we hope that our efforts will help to reduce the extreme pressure felt by our health workers.


John Halpin, Director General
Gordon Brown, Academic Dean

What do I do if I have or think that I may have COVID-19?

Take the COVID-19 symptom self-assessment test


  • You have tested positive for the Covid-19 coronavirus, or
  • You have flu-like symptoms (fever, or cough, or difficulty breathing).


If you have influenza or COVID‑19–like symptoms and you have a family doctor, please contact your medical clinic.

If you do not have a family doctor or cannot be seen by your family doctor, call the coronavirus (COVID‑19) information line. You will be referred to the appointment centre in your area which will refer you, after your condition has been assessed, to a designated assessment clinic or another resource where you can be seen.

The College will follow the Québec government guidelines on the reporting of confirmed cases that come to our attention.

Not sure what to do or have questions? Email or 

How does a student or employee report an absence due to symptoms compatible with COVID-19?
  • Students are to report COVID symptoms, contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19, positive test results and the return from international travel via E-mail to:
    Please follow any isolation instructions provided by Public Health. Please follow any requirements of clinical placement or internship hosts.

  • Students living in residence are to also report the situation to Student Housing at 514-457-6610 ext:5234 or email at

  • Employees are to report COVID symptoms, positive test results and the return from international travel to, to not come to campus, and to follow any other requirements of clinical placement or internship hosts. We are awaiting a response from Public Health on the quarantine period(s), but please assume two weeks until further notice.
Will I be informed if someone sitting near me while at the College is later tested positive for COVID-19?

Faculty and students in classes with a COVID-19 positive case are informed by the College, while we await Public Health directives. On behalf of Public Health, either the Health and Wellness Centre (students) or Human Resources (employees) follow up with instructions for anyone requiring testing or isolation (quarantine). The Registrar’s Office inform teachers of anticipated student absences. Self-isolation is normally not required for anyone who wore procedural masks or is considered adequately protected/vaccinated. We therefore continue to encourage anyone who is not adequately vaccinated to seriously consider it.

What are the College’s plans for the Winter 2022 semester?

Under construction

How can I speak to an Academic Advisor for questions about my studies?

The Academic Advising Team is currently assisting with the registration and course correction process.For all registration related issues,Day students must email: registration@johnabbott.qc.caContinuing Education students must email: As of January 20, you can reach an Advisor by:

  1.  Scheduling an appointment (25 minutes) using the Academic Advisor Appointment Module of the College’s OMNIVOX system. Until the return to campus, these meetings will take place on MICROSOFT TEAMS.
  2. Send your questions by MIO to Academic Advising.
How can I speak to a Psychological or Career Counsellor?

To request counselling services, send a MIO: General Counselling, or email: and a member of our team will evaluate the best way we can support you remotely, unless a referral to a community organization is more appropriate. Our Omnivox Community titled Counselling Service – Resources for Students includes a list of crisis services and helplines, as well as resources to help you practice good self-care and manage feelings of anxiety, loneliness, and boredom related to COVID-19.

The Sexual Assault Resource Team (SART) provides information, support and referrals to anyone affected by sexual violence in the John Abbott Community. To contact SART, send an MIO: SART; email:; or call SART help line: 514-457-6610 ext. 5555.

Harassment Resource Persons are available to provide support to the John Abbott Community in situations of psychological harassment, abuse of power, and/or violence. To reach out, send a MIO: Harassment Resource People, or email:; or call the Harassment Support Line: 514-457-6610, ext. 5577.


Empower Me : Well-Being Resources

Powered by Optima Global Health, Empower Me is a confidential support service available 24/7 to JAC students. The program has a number of professionals with various domains of expertise, including psychology, psychotherapy, social work, nutrition, etc., to support JAC students and respond effectively to diverse needs.

Call 1-833-628-5589 (toll-free) from anywhere in Canada or the US to be connected to a professional.

Services are accessible via telephone, videoconference, or in person (when permitted in accordance with public health guidelines and COVID-19 advisories). You can also connect with Empower Me through the EAP Optima mobile app, available for download from the App Store and Google Play—use the access code 45295GQ66 to create your account on the app.

Where can I turn to for help with stress or anxiety?

Here is a list of external services:

Crisis Support (if you need urgent assistance):
Suicide Action Montreal hotline 514-723-4000
West Island Crisis Centre 514-684-6160
Suicide Prevention hotline (from anywhere in Quebec): 866-APPELLE
Sexual Assault Helpline: 514-933-9007
Text Crisis Support by KidsHelpPhone: text “CONNECT” TO 686868

Listening Services (if you need to talk)
KidsHelpPhone: 800-668-6868
Tel-Aide: 514-935-1101
Tel-Jeunes: 800-263-2266
Text Support from Tel-Jeunes: 514-600-1002

Employees can reach the Employee Assistance Program by following this link

What ADDITIONAL MEASURES is the College imposing?

In our campus buildings, John Abbott requires procedural masks at all times for everyone (including students and employees) except when


  • eating (for all, but no eating is allowed in classrooms),
  • working alone in an office (for employees),
  • meeting at a distance of at least 2m, after checking the comfort level of others (for employee and college meetings),
  • participating in class if the teacher authorizes the removal of masks for pedagogical purposes (faculty are asked to be sensitive to health and other related issues identified by students, must require 2m distancing of students for indoor physical activity or singing, and are to maintain 2m distancing from students if removing their own mask).

Hand sanitizer and procedural masks are available at all entrances. If a particular entrance is missing this, please inform security at the Casgrain Main Door (Door 3) or Stewart Apartments and obtain the necessary sanitizer and procedural mask there.

Please make arrangements for vaccination through Clic Santé, if still needed

Where can I get additional information?

Click here to view the One StopShop – Covid-19: Breakdown of services available for students

ONE-STOP SHOP - Services for students

Click here to view the One-Stop Shop: Breakdown of services available for students

back Skip to content