BREAKDOWN OF SERVICES AVAILABLE FOR STUDENTS
Students can contact an Academic Advisor in three ways:
- Schedule a virtual appointment (30 minutes) using the Academic Advisor Appointment Module of the College’s OMNIVOX system.
- Schedule a virtual quick advising appointment (10-12 minutes) using the Academic Advisor Appointment Module of the College’s OMNIVOX system. Please note this is for quick questions only.
- Send questions by MIO to Academic Advising.
University Information: please click here for a list of upcoming Virtual Quebec University Open Houses and here for upcoming Ontario University Events. Please check the Academic Advising (H-117) community on the Omnivox Portal for other University events.
Academic Success Centre (ASC)
(MIO: Academic success), email: firstname.lastname@example.org (follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter) for online essay writing support for college papers, ESL (English Second Language) support along with online peer tutoring on many of the college’s current subjects. Also, the ASC offers workshops on online test taking and essay writing.
Access to accommodations for students requiring accommodations and assistance; email@example.com
Books and course packs can be purchased online at jac.bookware3000.ca. Pick up & delivery options available.
Casgrain Sports Centre
*See JAC Portal for online applications for Scholarships and Bursaries
- have student contact Anne-Marie Lafond by; (MIO: Financial assistance) or email; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Scholarship applications – see JAC Portal or email; email@example.com
- Bursary applications – see JAC Portal or email; firstname.lastname@example.org
- ARE YOU A STUDENT STRUGGLING WITH FINANCIAL DIFFICULTIES? WE CAN HELP!
click here for info
First Year College Experience office (FYCE)
First year students who are struggling with their course load or have other academic questions are invited to send an MIO to First Year College Experience.
Contact Joanne Watson; email@example.com to see how we can assist in providing services for students in need.
Health and Wellness Centre
Appointments are available with either the school nurse(s) or doctor(s) for all JAC students. All requests for an appointment must be done via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by MIO to Health and Wellness. Once we hear from you, we will determine the best way to offer you services, either remotely or in person.
Due to COVID, we are not offering any drop in appointments. Please do not come to the Health and Wellness Centre if you suspect you have COVID-19, but rather contact 1-877-644-4545 for further directions.
Indigenous Student Resource Centre
IT tech. for Password, Moodle or TEAMS Issues
Issues related to Passwords, your Office.com account, Microsoft TEAMS, Moodle or downloading software, students can send an email to: email@example.com or go to the Microsoft Team called Student Peer Online Support Group (Within Teams, click on “Join or create team” and either click directly on “Student Peer Online Support Group” if you see it there or use the “Search teams” search bar in the top right and enter the team name if you don’t see it in your group of Teams).
Language Resource Centre
Access to the Language Resource Centre in the Fall 2020 will be allowed, following health and safety guidelines.
Online Library media services
This guide is to help John Abbott College students and faculty access and use the resources available to them through the Library. All these resources are accessible from off-campus. Library Electronic Resources Guide
**if you need additional help, please do not hesitate to email the Library Reference Services at firstname.lastname@example.org
Psychological & Career Counselling
To request counselling services, send a MIO: General Counselling, or email; Counselling@johnabbott.qc.ca and a Counselor will evaluate the best way to support the student remotely, unless a referral to a community organization is more appropriate. Our Omnivox Community titled Counselling Service – Resources for Students includes a list of crisis services and helplines, as well as resources to help you practice good self-care and manage feelings of anxiety, loneliness, and boredom related to COVID-19.
*** Please note that our department is offering remote Wellness Workshops (MIO: Christine Farmer to sign up) and Discussion Groups pertaining to adjustment to life during the pandemic (MIO: Sheldon Lewis to sign up). ***
To sign up for one of our 4-week virtual Career Exploration Workshops, send a MIO: Career Exploration Workshop and we’ll provide workshop dates and registration information. Workshops run throughout the semester using Microsoft Teams; the workshop fee is $25.
The Registrar’s Office is offering limited, in-person services, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m., Monday to Friday. All departments in the Registrar’s Office are monitoring their emails and MIOs remotely.
- For general questions and questions about transcripts or letters of attendance: email@example.com, (MIO Registrar’s Office)
- For Admissions questions: firstname.lastname@example.org, (MIO Admissions Office)
- For Student Records: email@example.com
- For Scheduling and Registration: firstname.lastname@example.org, (MIO Registration Helpline)
- For information on authorized absences: email@example.com
- For graduation and diploma inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
Residence-Stewart apartments service
Contact Roxanne Dupuis: email@example.com
Room reservation for educational activities
- For Students: please follow this link – https://www.johnabbott.qc.ca/onsite-reservation/
- For Faculty and Staff: please follow this link – https://www.johnabbott.qc.ca/supervised-educational-activities-room-booking/
A virtual version of the Sandbox will be running in the Fall. Please contact Shannon.Coulterfirstname.lastname@example.org or MIO Sandbox for more information.
Sports and Recreation
- On RSEQ decisions/guidelines for practices and games.
- Our academic ACE and AASIP programs to allow for both in-person and virtual opportunities for our student-athletes to have access to academic resources during the pandemic period.
- Intramural opportunities
Stewart Cafeteria & JAC Bistro
Closed until further notice.
Offers a variety of engaging in-person and virtual activities and events: – You can email: email@example.com or MIO: Student Activities to ask any general questions on- Clubs
- College ID Cards
- Mini Courses
- New Student Orientation
- Reduced Fare for OPUS Cards
- An idea for an activity you would like to propose or help organize
Student Diversity & Inclusion Office
Diversity & Inclusion guidance and support for students: send an email to: StudentDiversityAndInclusionOffice@johnabbott.qc.ca
Student Employment Centre (SEC)
Student Union (SUJAC)
Contact by email; firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Work / Study Spaces
PLEASE MAKE SURE TO MAINTAIN PROPER DISTANCING (2 METER) IN STUDY AREAS!
Some of the following areas are accessible to students to do individual work:
- Library (head-sets on loan at Media Services, H-101)
- Agora (unless otherwise booked)
- AME Atrium
JAC Sustainability Activities are still ongoing and are being executed via the Sustainability Committee. Please contact Shannon.Coulteremail@example.com for more information.
SURVIVAL GUIDE to ONLINE LEARNING
NEW – This guide can help you self-assess your readiness for college success. You can keep these resources for reference to help you along your way. By consulting each section, you will have the opportunity to reflect, learn new strategies, find helpful information, and get an overview of your college’s resources. Do not hesitate to reach out to access services and resources to get more support. Follow this link to access the document
Are you having difficulties with connecting to your on-line courses? Are you lacking needed hardware or software? Are you having difficulties with bandwidth or home internet issues Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will try to help you work through some of the issues you may be experiencing.
Tutoring Help and Study Centres
WINTER 2021 Tutoring Help and On-Campus Study Locations
| JAC offers free tutoring and online resources to help students with homework, test preparation, and study tips and strategies.|
See below for full details.
|Centre / Lab||Location||Hours of Operation|
|Academic Success Centre||Online only on TEAMS|
“Academic Success Centre Peer Tutoring” Team;
“Academic Success Centre Workshops” Team;
“Academic Success Centre Conversation Groups” Team
|Mon – Fri: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.|
Consult portal for detailed schedule and MIO Academic Success Centre for further information
|Language Resource Centre||Online only on TEAMS “Language Lab” Team||Mon – Thu: 8:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.|
Fri: 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. (closed 1:00 to 2:00 p.m.)
|Writing Centre||Online only on TEAMS,|
“Writing Centre” Team
|Mon-Thu: 8:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.|
Fri: 8:30 a.m. -2:30 p.m. (schedule available on Teams)65 tutors
|CAF (Centre d’aide en francais)||Online only on TEAMS|
“Centre d’aide en français” Team
|Mon – Fri|
See document on Teams/Omnivox for tutoring hours
|Biology Study Centre (Labs)||Online only||Contact your teacher for access to the Program|
|Chemistry Learning Centre||Online only on TEAMS “Chemistry Learning Center” Public Team||Schedule posted on Team|
|Physics Tutoring centre||Online only on TEAMS|
“Physics Online Peer Tutoring Winter 2021” Team
|Consult Teams for availabilities and tutors;|
If you joined your class late, please ask your teacher to add you to the tutoring team
|Business Learning Centre||Online only on TEAMS|
“BA Business Lab” Team
|First contact: MIO Pamela Conner,|
then MIO Pamela or go to Teams.
Mon – Fri 8:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
|Math Help Centre||Online only||Contact your teacher for more details|
|Social Science||Online only|
“QM Student Support Group” Team
|Weekly; One-on-one tutoring possible weekendContact Philip Cooper or Vicki Odorico|
|Centre / Lab||Location||Hours of Operation|
|Library||JAC Library||Mon – Thu: 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.|
Fri: 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
The Writing Centre is now online and ready to help support you this term with your reading and writing assignments. Here are the steps:
- Join “Writing Centre” TEAM by clicking or typing “Writing Centre” in the Microsoft TEAMS search bar. You can also click: https://teams.microsoft.com/l/team/19%3ac16baf89dffa4bd8927c6450b59df220%40thread. tacv2/conversations?groupId=a8b7fd36-02f9-4748-833f-a534f51e9406&tenantId=22c202c2-382c-447b-a023d0a866d1d426
- Once you have joined the “Writing Centre” team as a member you can post a message in the “General” page asking for help from a tutor, such as: “Hi, is there a tutor who can help me?” A tutor will then post a reply and set up a private channel for you to join.
- Your tutoring session whether it be by video/audio or live chat will take place in that private channel created by the tutor under their name.
Not in operation during the COVID-19 epidemic:
- Legal Advisory services (postponed at the present time)