BREAKDOWN OF SERVICES AVAILABLE FOR STUDENTS
- Academic Advising: Students can contact an Academic Advisor in three ways:
1) Schedule a virtual appointment (30 minutes) using the Academic Advisor Appointment Module of the College’s OMNIVOX system.
2) Schedule a virtual quick advising appointment (10-12 minutes) using the Academic Advisor Appointment Module of the College’s OMNIVOX system. Please note this is for quick questions only.
3) Send questions by MIO to Academic Advising.
University Information: please click here for a list of upcoming Virtual Quebec University Open Houses and here for upcoming Ontario University Events. Please check the Academic Advising (H-117) community on the Omnivox Portal for other University events.
- Academic Success Centre (ASC): (MIO: Academic success), email: firstname.lastname@example.org (follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter) for online essay writing support for college papers, ESL (English Second Language) support along with online peer tutoring on many of the college’s current subjects. Also, the ASC offers workshops on online test taking and essay writing.
- Access Centre: Access to accommodations for students requiring accommodations and assistance; email@example.com
- Campus Store: Books and course packs can be purchased online at jac.bookware3000.ca. Pick up & delivery options available.
- Diversity & Social Equity office: Cultural and Online Citizenship guidance: send an MIO or Email to either DiversityAndSocialEquity@johnabbott.qc.ca
- Financial Assistance: *See JAC Portal for online applications for Scholarships and Bursaries
– have student contact Anne-Marie Lafond by; (MIO: Financial assistance) or email; firstname.lastname@example.org
– Scholarship applications – see JAC Portal or email; email@example.com
– Bursary applications – see JAC Portal or email; firstname.lastname@example.org
– ARE YOU A STUDENT STRUGGLING WITH FINANCIAL DIFFICULTIES? WE CAN HELP!
Click here for info.
- First Year College Experience office (FYCE): First year students who are struggling with their course load or have other academic questions are invited to send an MIO to First Year College Experience.
- Food Pantry: contact Joanne Watson; email@example.com to see how we can assist in providing services for students in need.
- Health and Wellness Centre: Appointments are available with either the school nurse(s) or doctor(s) for all JAC students. All requests for an appointment must be done via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by MIO to Health and Wellness. Once we hear from you, we will determine the best way to offer you services, either remotely or in person.
- Due to COVID, we are not offering any drop in appointments. Please do not come to the Health and Wellness Centre if you suspect you have COVID-19, but rather contact 1-877-644-4545 for further directions.
- Indigenous Student Resource Centre: Contact Sabrina by email email@example.com or Louise: firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you need advice regarding technical problems, such as using your Office.com account, Microsoft Teams, etc., you can reach out for help by calling 514-457-6610 Extension 3333 or by going to the Microsoft Team called Student Peer Online Support Group (click on “Join or create team” and use Search if you cannot see it among your Teams).
- Language Resource Centre: Access to the Language Resource Centre in the Fall 2020 will be allowed, following health and safety guidelines.
- Online Library media services: this guide is to help John Abbott College students and faculty access and use the resources available to them through the Library. All these resources are accessible from off-campus. Library Electronic Resources Guide
**if you need additional help, please do not hesitate to email the Library Reference Services at email@example.com
- Online Technology Problems: Are you having difficulties with connecting to your on-line courses? Send an MIO to William Mahon who will try to help you work through some of the issues you maybe experiencing.
- Password, Moodle or TEAMS Issues: MIO ITS Student Support to get help with password issues or problems accessing. You can also leave a message at the HelpDesk at 514-457-6610 Extension 3333 and someone will call you back.
- Psychological & Career Counselling: To request counselling services, send a MIO: General Counselling, or email; Counselling@johnabbott.qc.ca and a Counselor will evaluate the best way to support the student remotely, unless a referral to a community organization is more appropriate. Our Omnivox Community titled Counselling Service – Resources for Students includes a list of crisis services and helplines, as well as resources to help you practice good self-care and manage feelings of anxiety, loneliness, and boredom related to COVID-19.
*** Please note that our department is offering remote Wellness Workshops (MIO: Christine Farmer to sign up) and Discussion Groups pertaining to adjustment to life during the pandemic (MIO: Sheldon Lewis to sign up). ***
To sign up for one of our 4-week virtual Career Exploration Workshops, send a MIO: Career Exploration Workshop and we’ll provide workshop dates and registration information. Workshops run throughout the semester using Microsoft Teams; the workshop fee is $25.
- Registrar’s Office: The Registrar’s Office is offering limited, in-person services, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m, Monday to Friday. All departments in the Registrar’s Office are monitoring their emails and MIOs remotely.
- For general questions and questions about transcripts or letters of attendance: firstname.lastname@example.org, (MIO Registrar’s Office)
- For Admissions questions: email@example.com, (MIO Admissions Office)
- For Student Records: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For Scheduling and Registration: email@example.com, (MIO Registration Helpline)
- For information on authorized absences: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For graduation and diploma inquiries: email@example.com
- Residence-Stewart apartments service: Contact Roxanne Dupuis: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sandbox: A virtual version of the Sandbox will be running in the Fall. Please contact Shannon.Coulteremail@example.com or MIO Sandbox for more information.
Sports and Recreation:
- Sustainability: JAC Sustainability Activities are still ongoing and are being executed via the Sustainability Committee. Please contact Shannon.Coulterfirstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Student Activities: offers a variety of engaging in-person and virtual activities and events: – You can email: email@example.com or MIO: Student Activities to ask any general questions on- Clubs
– College ID Cards
– Mini Courses
– New Student Orientation
– Reduced Fare for OPUS Cards
– An idea for an activity you would like to propose or help organize
- Stewart Cafeteria: will be open Monday to Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Please note that due to COVID-19 safety concerns the cafeteria will be accepting debit and credit only.
Student Employment Centre (SEC): please contact Joanne Watson; firstname.lastname@example.org
CV information; Carrefour Jeunesse emploi Ouest de l’Ile offers online services : https://www.cjeouestile.qc.ca/
- Student Online Help: Please email email@example.com if you are having difficulties with bandwidth or home internet issues.
- Student Union (SUJAC): contact by email; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Student Work / Study Spaces: PLEASE MAKE SURE TO MAINTAIN PROPER DISTANCING (2 METER) IN STUDY AREAS!
Some of the following lab areas are accessible to students to do individual work:
– Library (head-sets on loan at Media Services, H-101)
– Methods Labs (H-431, H-445, H-447)
– AME-120Please note that the following areas are also available and can be used by students:
– Agora (unless otherwise booked)
– AME Atrium
- SURVIVAL GUIDE to ONLINE LEARNING: NEW – This guide can help you self-assess your readiness for college success. You can keep these resources for reference to help you along your way. By consulting each section, you will have the opportunity to reflect, learn new strategies, find helpful information, and get an overview of your college’s resources. Do not hesitate to reach out to access services and resources to get more support.Follow this link to view it https://www.johnabbott.qc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Survival-Guide-to-Online-Learning.pdf
- Tutoring Help and Study Centres:
– Language Resource Centre: students studying languages can join the Language Lab team for help with their studies and to access course related information.
– CAF (Centre d’aide en francais): join Centre d’aide en français team to get help with reading, writing, and speaking French as well as online tutoring.
– Biology Study Centre (Labs): offers online tutoring, online labs and online resources. Please contact your teacher for access to the Program.
– Chemistry Learning Center: you can get online help in Chemistry by joining Chemistry Learning Center team. Please contact your teacher to be added to the team.
– Physics Tutoring Centre: join Physics Online Tutoring Fall 2020 team with the help of your teacher to obtain Physics online peer tutoring (drop-in).
– Business Learning Centre: BA Business Lab team will help you to get some online assistance to reply questions, assistance with Excel, Word and PPT as well as one-to-one meeting. MIO Pamela Conner for details and to join the team.
– Math Help Centre: offers online tutoring. Please contact your teacher for more details.
– Library: offers you study areas (open space) on the first and second floors. Study rooms (enclosed) are under preparation.
– Social Science Centre: offers computer labs with computers, printers and technical assistance available. Mon – Fri 8:30 A.M. – 4:30 P.M.
- Writing Centre is now online and ready to help support you this term with your reading and writing assignments. Here are the steps:
1) Join “Writing Centre” TEAM by clicking or typing “Writing Centre” in the Microsoft TEAMS search bar. You can also click: https://teams.microsoft.com/l/team/19%3ac16baf89dffa4bd8927c6450b59df220%40thread. tacv2/conversations?groupId=a8b7fd36-02f9-4748-833f-a534f51e9406&tenantId=22c202c2-382c-447b-a023d0a866d1d426
2) Once you have joined the “Writing Centre” team as a member you can post a message in the “General” page asking for help from a tutor, such as: “Hi, is there a tutor who can help me?” A tutor will then post a reply and set up a private channel for you to join.
3) Your tutoring session whether it be by video/audio or live chat will take place in that private channel created by the tutor under their name.
- Not in operation during the COVID-19 epidemic:
* Legal Advisory services (postponed at the present time)