Services for students

Academic Advising

What are common reasons to reach out to an Academic Advisor?
  • Academic Advisors help students understand diploma requirements and plan their course selection each semester to ensure they will graduate in a timeframe that works for them;
  • Academic Advisors advise students who have fallen behind and need help planning their courses, including summer school and/or inter-session courses;
  • Academic Advisors help identify university and vocational program entrance requirements;
  • Academic Advisors help students who want to change their program consider the various options within the CEGEP system.
  • Academic Advisors should not be confused with Counsellors. John Abbott College has a dedicated team of Counsellors who offer both Psychological & Career Counselling.
How do new students make their first contact with Academic Advising?

Newly admitted students will be invited to attend a “Program & Registration Information Session”. In this session, students will receive information about their program structure as well as learn how to make their schedules. Invitations will be sent via Messaging In Omnivox (MIO).

How can new students meet with an Academic Advisor? 

If students have questions BEFORE the semester begins, they can send their questions via MIO: Academic Advising

Once the semester has started, students can connect with an Academic Advisor in a variety of ways:

  • Appointments
  • Quick Advising
  • MIO
My goal is to eventually change programs. How do I know what courses to register for my first semester?

We can assist you with this, please send us this question via MIO: Academic Advising.

Do I have to complete my program in the timeframe indicated?

No, some students will choose to extend their program by 1 or 2 semesters. We recommend that you start by registering for a full course load and speak with us at the beginning of the semester so that we can go over your options with you. Students can drop courses by the course drop deadline which can be found on the Academic Calendar.

Academic Success Centre

What is the Academic Success Centre?

The ASC is a learning resource for all John Abbott students, both Day Division and Continuing Education. We are responsible for study skill support and tutoring on campus.

What services do we provide?
The ASC offers varied and individualized learning support to students. Among others, we can help with

  • College-level reading and writing skills
  • Essay-writing skills
  • Study skills, time management, note-taking and test-taking
  • ELL training for students whose first language is not English
  • Preparation for the English Exit Exam
  • Citation styles

As well, the ASC runs a peer tutoring program in which students can get help with subjects taught at JAC.

How do we provide these services?

All our services are provided online using TEAMS along with being offered on site.

  • Weekly workshops and workshop series (essay writing, reading, English Exit Exam, study skills, time management, etc.) given by ASC staff. Check the portal for our workshop ads, or write to us requesting a workshop in something you need help with.
  • Peer tutoring centre located in the library basement (L-022). The weekly schedule is available in our ASC community.
  • English Language Training (ELT) workshops and one-on-one ELL tutoring for students whose first language is not English.
  • Appointments with ASC staff for individualized help
Anything else?

Aside from academic support to all JAC students, the ASC runs conversation groups in many languages. Other fun activities are social events to honour our peer tutors and an annual writing contest.

How do students get in touch with the Academic Success Centre?

The ASC is located in H-139 between 8:30 and 4:30, call extension 5285, or send an email to / MIO Academic Success Centre. You can also contact us on ASC social media Facebook, Twitter, Instagram.

Access Centre

What type of supporting documentation do students requesting accommodations need to provide in order to register with the Access Centre?

Students requesting accommodations need to provide supporting documentation detailing their specific diagnosis and/or medical condition from a qualified professional in Quebec, including:

  • Doctor
  • Psychologist
  • Speech & Language Pathologist
  • Audiologist
  • Optometrist
  • Guidance Counsellor with accreditation from their Professional Order
  • Nurse with accreditation from their Professional Order
What does the supporting documentation need to outline?

Supporting documentation needs to outline the following:

  • Specific diagnosis and/or medical condition
  • Limitations and/or incapacities resulting from the specific diagnosis and/or medical condition
  • Whether the specific diagnosis and/or medical condition is temporary or permanent
When should students requesting accommodations begin the process?

Students requesting accommodations should submit the required documentation as soon as they are notified of their acceptance to John Abbott.

  • Students accepted for the Fall semester will be offered an appointment as of June 1
  • Students accepted for the Winter semester will be offered an appointment as of December 1
Is an IEP (Individualized Education Plan) from High School sufficient to request accommodations?

Although an IEP is helpful in evaluating appropriate and necessary accommodations, it is not sufficient to request accommodations as it does not outline the required information.

What is the Intake Process of the Access Centre?

Regardless of the student’s situation prior to coming to John Abbott, the Intake Process is the same for all students. This includes the mandatory phone, virtual or in person discussion with the student.

During the meeting, the student’s individualized needs will be assessed and appropriate and necessary accommodations will be evaluated and granted.

Please note that accommodations at the post-secondary level may differ from the accommodations granted in High School.

What type of services does the Access Centre provide for Autistic students transitioning from high school to Cegep?

The Transition Support Program for Autistic Students assists new students as they transition to post-secondary education. This includes a Transition Support Day held before the start of the semester as well as one-on-one meetings with an Access Centre staff member at various times throughout the semester. Presentations on various topics as well as learning about the main differences between High School and College will be included. For more information, please contact us directly at

Counselling & Career Exploration

Psychological & Career Counselling Service?

Our role is to help students cope with concerns that affect their personal development, especially when these issues are about their general mental health, family/social relationships, education, and career exploration. We are staffed by seven licensed professionals (counsellor-psychotherapists and psychologists), two social work technicians, and one counsellor-in-training, which makes us one of the largest college psychological support teams in the province!

What can the Psychological & Career Counselling Service do for me?

Our service provides short and medium term individual personal counselling, as well as career exploration in a small group format. We are here to listen to our students’ concerns and to help them develop insight and strategies to stay motivated and focused on their goals. In addition, we hold workshops on a variety of topics and administer the academic standing and advancement (probation) policy.

How does Counselling work?

During the academic year, students are asked to first attend a brief drop-in to evaluate their needs and receive support quickly after they are ready to seek help. Afterwards, further appointments can be made with a counsellor-psychotherapist or psychologist, or there may be a referral to another resource. Drop-ins occur daily. Students can contact us directly to find out about the next available drop-in times.

What if a student is in crisis?

When the counselling service is open (Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.), students can usually be seen the same day by a member of our team if necessary. If a student or someone they know is in crisis and needs immediate assistance after hours and on weekends, we provide them with a variety of 24-hour telephone services (and other daytime services).

What type of issues do students seek help for?

Students seek help for many reasons. They often discuss personal issues such as feelings of low self-esteem, depression, anxiety or stress, anger, and grief; or because of family problems, or problems in their romantic relationships; or for issues such as sexual orientation, histories of childhood abuse or neglect, eating problems, alcohol or drug problems, and many other concerns. As well, many students come in to talk about lack of career goals.

Where can I receive counselling on campus?

Students are seen in person in H-138. Virtual sessions are also available upon request or in the presence of Covid-19 symptoms.

How can I contact the Psychological & Career Counselling Service?

To contact us:

For mental health information, resources, and tips:

Is counselling confidential?

Client (student) confidentiality is protected and everything discussed remains between the student and the mental health professional. This means that parents, teachers, friends and others cannot be given any information revealed by the client without written consent to release information. It should be noted that there are limits of confidentiality, as prescribed by the law; these limits are described in full during the student’s first contact with our service.

How much does counselling cost?

Counselling is free for all currently registered John Abbott students. There is a small fee for personality and interest testing as part of career exploration workshops.

Peer Support Program

Our new Peer Support Program offers students the opportunity to receive support from fellow John Abbott students trained in active listening.

Financial Assistance

What services are available through Financial Assistance?
  • Assistance with AFE and Out-of-Province Financial Assistance Applications
  • Budgeting and Debt Management
  • Information on Community and Government Resources
  • Referrals to College and Community Support Services
  • Help with the Cost of Textbooks
  • Commissioner for Oaths
How do I contact Financial Assistance?
Am I eligible to receive financial assistance for my studies?

You may qualify for loans and bursaries through the Québec government’s Aide financière aux études (AFE) if you are a full-time (or deemed full-time) student and meet the following criteria:

  • You are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, refugee or protected person within the meaning of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act; and
  • You reside or are deemed to reside in Québec when applying for financial assistance; and
  • You need financial assistance in order to pay for your studies.

Students receiving welfare or employment insurance during their studies are not eligible for loans and bursaries.

I am not a Québec resident. How can I receive help financing my studies?

Apply for student financial aid through your province of residence. FAS can help you with your application and can confirm your enrolment at the College.

How much can I receive?

The amount of assistance awarded is based on the financial situation of the applicant and in some cases, the financial situation of your parent(s), sponsor or spouse. AFE’s assessment simulator helps you estimate the amount of government loans and bursaries you may receive during the academic year.

Please note: The amount entered for tuition should only include your CEGEP registration fees ($162 per semester for full-time day students and $117 per semester for full-time Continuing Education students).

I live on my own. Can I get more money?

AFE assumes that you are still your parents’ dependent. It is up to you to demonstrate your financial independence by proving that you meet at least one of the criteria.

How do I apply for loans and bursaries?

If you are applying for loans and bursaries for the first time, you will need to create a new account on the AFE website at You will need your permanent code (you can find this on your Progression Chart on My JAC Portal) and your social insurance number.

Once you have logged on to your online services account, complete the application for full-time assistance for the relevant academic year.

When filling out an application for Québec’s Loan and Bursary program, you will need:

  • John Abbott’s institution code: 935000
  • Your Program Code

Once you have submitted your online application, AFE will tell you which documents they need to complete processing; use your Online Services to submit them electronically.

If your parents, sponsor or spouse need to fill out a declaration, have them do it online.

What if I don’t have a permanent code?

Students who have not yet received their permanent code must submit a paper application for financial assistance. The application is available in the Forms section of the AFE website.

Do I have to apply for loans and bursaries every year?

Yes, application forms are available in May each year. If you have been newly admitted to John Abbott, you should complete your AFE application as soon as the online forms become available for the upcoming academic year to avoid potential delays in receiving your money.

How long will the application take to process?

In general, once AFE has received all the required information and supporting documents, your online application will be processed within 4 weeks. If you have submitted a paper application, it can take 6-8 weeks for your application to be assessed.

Please refer to the homepage of the AFE site to check the current processing times.

How do I receive my money?

The decision and assessment of awarded financial assistance will be available in your Online File. You will receive an email asking you to check your file using your Online Services.
If this is your first time applying for financial assistance, you’ll need a Guarantee Certificate. Aide financière aux études will notify you by email when it’s available via your Online Services. You’ll need to print the document and present it to your financial institution to have your loan and any bursaries deposited directly into your account.

Students with loans only will receive a single payment at the beginning of each term. Students receiving loans and bursaries will have a larger sum deposited into their account at the start of the term, with additional aid in the form of monthly deposits. More information can be found here.

What is the difference between a loan and a bursary?

The loan part of your financial assistance will need to be repaid to your financial institution (bank) whereas the bursary component of your financial assistance does not need to be paid back.

Why is my bursary showing up as a loan?

All deposits are made as a loan throughout the academic year. At the end of each academic year, AFE confirms your income with the information provided to Revenu Québec and does a loan to bursary conversion at which time your bursary is removed from your loan debt.

When do I have to repay my student loan?

You are not expected to pay back your loan while you are a full-time student (or deemed a full-time student) but interest is calculated starting the month after your studies come to an end. You will be expected to start paying back your loan 6 months after the end of your studies.

If you want to pay back your student loan more quickly, contact your financial institution directly as soon as you finish your studies to establish an agreement.

How do I confirm my enrolment at John Abbott College?

If you already have an active request for financial aid, our Financial Assistance Services office will automatically provide AFE with proof of your enrolment. Should you require proof of enrolment for any other reason (e.g., to defer payment on your student loan), contact us.

My situation (financial, family, education, etc.) has changed since I applied for loans and bursaries. What do I need to do?

You are required to notify AFE of any changes in your personal situation as soon as possible since any changes could affect the amount of financial assistance to which you are entitled. This should be done by completing a Declaration of Change under the full-time forms section of your AFE Online Services.

AFE has asked me to confirm my financial resources. What does this mean?

You are required to confirm your financial resources twice each award year, (in September and January), in order to avoid suspension of payments. You will received a notice from AFE when it is time to confirm your financial resources.

I received a notice from AFE about an income discrepancy. What is this and what do I have to do?

For more information, please contact the Financial Assistance Officer at or log on to My JAC Portal and consult the information posted in the Financial Assistance Services community.

John Abbott College Bursary and Scholarship Funds
Each year, the College awards bursaries and scholarships to its students. Generous donors and the John Abbott College Foundation make it possible for Financial Assistance Services to distribute over $40,000 in financial aid annually. Click here to see complete list.

Canadian Second Language Bursary Program please visit

First-Year College Experience


The First-Year College Experience office is part of a College-wide plan to increase academic success and retention of our first-year students.

Students are welcome to drop by the office (Herzberg H-117) at designated times without an appointment to discuss academic, student life, or personal development questions.

Alternatively, during this pandemic crisis, students are encouraged to reach out to the Education Advisor by way of a…

  1. Message in Omnivox (MIO) directed to FIRST-YEAR COLLEGE EXPERIENCE, or
  2. Email: or
  3. Phone:  514-457-6610 x 5286
What role do parents play in supporting their young adult?

Parents have an important role to play in guiding their young adult through the transition from high school to CEGEP. The next few years are a time for academic and personal growth leading to new challenges.Your support and encouragement are key to helping students make the most of their academic experience. Please feel welcomed to call upon us for information or assistance concerning the many available programs to help your student achieve academic success.

What limits are placed on parents seeking information about their young adult?

Access to information changes for parents once their young adult reaches 18 years of age. Colleges are not permitted to provide any specific information to parents. In accordance to the Act respecting access to documents held by public bodies and the protection of personal information, it is therefore impossible to provide documentation whether on registration, transcripts, schedules, tax statements, proof of attendance, graduation, etc., or to discuss the academic progress (attendance, grades, etc.), without first obtaining written permission from the student.

If a student is less than 18 years of age, transcripts and other information may be released to the parent(s) or guardian(s) upon written request only. The philosophy embraced by the college is one that fosters the building of a relationship and a sense of trust and respect with our students. Therefore, though the parent may have the right to information, it is generally more effective to have the cooperation of their young adult.

For this reason, the College provides resource people to address the concerns and questions of parents. You can contact the FIRST-YEAR COLLEGE EXPERIENCE OFFICE at 514-457-6610 x 5286 for more information on our policies and supportive student programs.

Now that my young adult has been accepted to attend John Abbott this Fall, how do they make their schedule? And when?

Course registration, also known as schedule making, takes place in early August. Students will be able to obtain their specific registration date and time via the Omnivox Course Registration module in early July.

Newly admitted students will receive an Academic Advising invitation to attend a Program Registration and Information Session scheduled for Mid-June. Your young adult will discover their program planner, a list of courses to complete each term toward graduation and learn to make their own schedule for the first time.

How will my young adult know of their academic progress?

Teachers use the LEA feature within the Omnivox portal to post grades, store course outlines, provide a detailed assessment plan and communicate course work expectations.

Our students’ academic progress is carefully monitored and students who are at risk academically receive an academic progress letter via Omnivox by mid-October for the fall term, or mid-March for the Winter term. The report informs students of their progress in each of their courses before it is too late to address specific needs or difficulties.

Parents are encouraged to ask their young adult to view and discuss their progress letter.

How will my young adult adapt to a larger school and post-secondary studies?

Your young adult will be expected to attend a half-day orientation session toward becoming familiar with the college campus as they learn to locate adjacent buildings and classrooms with their course schedules in hand.

Students will interact with many of their teachers and staff, along with returning students who offer a first-hand perspective on managing post-secondary studies, becoming an engaged student while seizing the opportunity to explore exciting new challenges, and yes, making new friends through the journey ahead.

Staying connected to the flow of vital information is key to helping your student stay informed while adapting to post-secondary studies. The use of the Omnivox portal offers continual updates on all aspects of student life such as campus jobs, sports and recreation activities, student club information, health and wellness tips, and much more.

Food Services

What is offered by Food Services at John Abbott College?
Food Services offers a variety of grab and go items, sandwiches / wraps and Marley coffee as well as snack bar and hot meals in our dining hall located at the CAF (Stewart Building).
Does Food Services offer any healthy food options to students?
The CAF provides students with a salad bar and there are daily vegetarian / vegan options available at both of our locations (JAC Bistro: Casgrain Building and the CAF: Stewart Building)
Do the Food Services at John Abbott College offer meal plans?
No, John Abbott College does not offer meal plans for students.

Health & Wellness Centre

Where are you located?
We are located on main floor of the Herzberg building. You enter our area via the Student Services office, room Herzberg 138.
How do we contact you?

MIO: Health and Wellness Centre
Telephone: 514-457-6610 ext. 5308
Fax number: 514-457-6261


What type of services do you offer?
  1. Health/Medical Consultation: Appointments are available with a nurse, nutritionist or one of our family doctors about a specific health concern or general lifestyle interests. Medical clinics are offered a few half days a week.
    Common concerns include: (bring down to start list)
    i. general health or injuries
    ii. sexual wellbeing (pregnancy testing, birth control, testing and treatment for sexually transmitted diseases, transgender health)
    iii. prescription renewals
    iv. substance use
    v. mental health
    vi. nutrition
    vii. referral to medical specialists
    • Students who already have a family doctor are encouraged to continue to see their own family doctor but in certain situations may also use the services of the Health and Wellness Centre.
    • Medicare cards or health insurance is required when seeing a doctor.
  2. Health Promotion:
    Throughout the school year a variety of health information programs aimed at optimizing college-aged student wellness are offered. Common themes include sexual health, substance use, mental health, nutrition and healthy lifestyle choices. Students can volunteer to help run these events.
Who makes up your team?

Our staff consists of nurses, a nutritionist, a team of family doctors and an administrative assistant. Generally, appointments are needed to meet with any of our staff.

Are the services confidential?

Our services are confidential. Information is not shared with parents, teachers, or friends. For more information about confidentiality speak with one of our team members.

Housing Services

Is there supervision in the Stewart Apartment Residence?

The live-in Assistant Manager of Housing Services maintains supervision with a team of Resident Assistants. For the safety of the residents of Stewart Apartments there is an intercom system located at the front door of the building. The front doors are locked to all visitors. Any visitors wishing to enter the building must dial the three digit code of the resident who they wish to visit. This code is provided with a list of student names above the intercom panel. Residents receiving a call via the intercom will receive a three tone ring on their telephone. Residents must pick up the telephone, confirm the identity of the person and then dial “6” to admit their guest.

No resident should permit entry to a person who they do not know, nor should they jam the door open to permit entry to all. The Security office is located in Stewart Apartments as well.

How much does rent cost?

Rates for academic year 2022-2023

  • regular two bedroom apartment $484 / person per month
  • larger two bedroom apartment $505 / person per month
  • deluxe two bedroom apartment $532 / person per month
  • single room in a two bedroom apartment $532 / person per month
What is included in the apartments?

Most apartments contain two bedrooms. They all have a full bathroom, kitchenette and living room/dining area. The apartments are fully furnished and equipped with refrigerator, microwave oven, stove top and comfortable living room and bedroom furnishings. Internet (wired connection) and cable TV are also included.

Each apartment is equipped with the following items:

  • desk
  • blinds
  • twin bed and matress
  • broom and dustpan
  • desk chair
  • wet mop & bucket
  • adequate dresser room
  • dining table
  • ample shelf space
  • dining chairs
  • wastebasket
  • four-burner stove top
  • lounge chairs
  • microwave oven
  • sofa
  • 17 cu. ft. fridge
  • coffee table
  • overhead lighting
  • telephone & internet connection
  • Videotron cable television connection
When will I know if I am accepted in Residence?

Students accepted into Stewart Apartments will be notified by early June and sent an acceptance package in the mail. The lease will be included and must be signed by the student tenant and a parent, as cosigner of the lease agreement. The first month’s rent MUST be paid by mid-June to confirm the room assignment.

Students NOT accepted in the first series of acceptances will be placed on the residence waiting list (the order to be determined by the distance from the College) and given information about our off-campus housing list.

If I am NOT accepted in the first series of acceptances, should I look for off-campus housing or just “hold tight” and hope that I am accepted in one of the later series?

During the first month of school, we may have a vacancy because a student decides NOT to attend the College. At this time, we will call those students on the residence waiting list to see who is still interested and available to move in residence. A $20.00 administrative fee will apply for lease generation in cases where a student accepts housing but does not end up signing the lease before the arranged deadline.

Can I choose my friend as a roommate?

Yes, during the application process you can add a comment to be roomed with a friend. You have to provide their name.

Single room?

Single rooms are available to students who have been previously living in Stewart Apartments. The rooms are determined by seniority and application (first come first serve basis). In other words, you can apply for a single room after your first year of living in residence. However, the Housing Staff does not guarantee that you will get a single room.



There is a games room located in the basement of the residence that is available to the residents of the Stewart Apartments. This room has a billiards table, a ping-pong table and includes all the necessary equipment for each of these games. Residents wishing to use this room simply have to sign out the key for the room at the Housing Services Office or from the Resident Assistant on duty. A deposit of $5.00 and a John Abbott College Student I.D. are required to sign out the key to this room.


Every Wednesday evening a specific time is reserved for the Resident Assistants to organize activities specifically for the residents of Stewart Apartments. The number of activities offered, what activities are being organized and the specific time of each of these activities will vary depending on the availability of the gymnasiums but these details are available from the R.A. All residents are encouraged to participate in these free gymnasium activities.

This activity is dependent on gymnasium availability and is only offered during the academic year. It is not available during holiday periods.


Every Monday evening all residents are invited to the pool located in the Casgrain Sports Centre. This activity is free for residents and supervised by a certified lifeguard and a Resident Assistant. This activity is dependent on the pool availability, and is only offered during the academic year. It is not available during holiday periods.

With the help of the Resident Assistants cultural, social and educational activities are planned weekly and monthly for all the residents with input from the tenants.

Indigenous Student Resource Centre

What is the mission of the ISRC?

The mission of the ISRC is twofold:

  • Provide services to facilitate the transition, retention and academic success of Indigenous students within the college.
  • Promote Indigenous cultures and inform the college community of historical and contemporary Indigenous realities.
Where is the ISRC located?

The ISRC is located on the fourth floor of the Herzberg building in room H-417. It offers students a friendly lounge area where they can discuss school work, meet friends, plan social activities, eat lunch, and hang out.

Who can use the facility and services at the ISRC?

The ISRC aims to be a ‘home away from home’, a safe place where Indigenous students can find tranquility and support.All Indigenous students, from First Nations, Inuit, and Métis communities are welcome at the ISRC. There are currently 60 Indigenous students at John Abbott College. They make up 1% of the JAC student population and represent diverse Nations: Inuit, Cree, Kanien’kehá:ka (Mohawk), Anishinabeg (Algonquin) and Mik`Maq.

Who is the staff of the ISRC?

The services are provided by two full time employees, the coordinator, TBA and the academic support technician, Laea Morris.
You can reach them at:
TBA, 514-457-6610 x5824, 514-457-6610 x5032

The Centre collaborates with various college departments to offer workshops and specific services to the students. Some of these departments include:

  • Academic Advising
  • Academic Success Centre
  • Health and Wellness Centre
  • Nutrition
  • Financial Assistance
  • Diversity and Social Equity OfficeFor the past five years, Youth Fusion Jeunesse has been employed by the Centre to provide its Healthy Living Program. Students are also supported by the many guest speakers and elders that are engaged by the Centre, throughout the year.
What are the services offered to the students?

The main services offered to the students are:

  • Academic tutoring
  • Life skills and coaching
  • Mentoring
  • Socio-cultural activities
  • Luncheons
  • Advocacy and liaison with teachers
  • Liaison with sponsoring organizations and communities

We also offer:

  • Specific orientation activities
  • Priority registration
  • Availability of a designated academic advisor
  • Career day activities
  • Information on job opportunities
  • Workshops with university representatives

We assist students throughout their college journey. We are present from the very beginning of their experience, bringing high school students on tours of our campus. We are also there at the end, when we celebrate their graduation with a festive party! Although we are happy to see our students grow and begin a new life adventure after John Abbott College, we always welcome their return visits.

What are the activities offered to the general college population?

Success of Indigenous students cannot be achieved without creating awareness about the cultures, history and contemporary issues of Indigenous Peoples. Many events and activities are put on for the general public to help establish a better understanding of Indigenous realities and promote real cooperation.
Some of those events are:

  • Land acknowledgement, read at public events.
  • Orange Shirt Day
  • REDress & Moose Hide campaign
  • Multicultural week events
  • Indigenous Awareness days
  • Film presentations
  • Various guest speakers including artists, elders and public figures
Are there any specific programs for Indigenous students?

Crossroads (0.81CR) is a two-semester transition program designed to prepare Indigenous students for the expectations of college life as well as to guide them in choosing a pre-university or career program.
Students benefit from being part of a learning community. Courses and pedagogy are culturally relevant. Students have a pedagogical support person following them throughout the year to help ensure their success.

The Indigenous Studies Certificate is available to any interested student, whether they are Indigenous or of any other ethnic origin. The Indigenous Studies Certificate aims to provide the student with an awareness of the role Indigenous Peoples play in the ongoing evolution of society.
In order to obtain the Certificate, which is obtained upon graduation, students need to pass six courses chosen from a designated list of courses that relate to Indigenous cultures.
For more information, please contact the coordinator of the Indigenous Studies Certificate at or 514-457-6610 ext. 5976.

Library Media Services

What are Library Media Services and where are they located?

Library Media Services is a group of services which includes the Library, Media Services, and the Language Resource Centre.

The Library is in L-101, right at the Herzberg main entrance.The opening hours are indicated on the library website.

The Language Resource Centre is located in room P-006.

Do you have rooms where I can practice my presentation or work in groups?

Many areas of the Library allow for group work: many large tables are available on the main floor and the second floor, which allows for collaborative work. Fifteen study rooms are also available for student group assignments or studying.

Where is there quiet space for study and/or rest?

Individual study carrels are located on the second floor of the library. Small tables are also scattered around the library for quiet study.

Is printing available at the John Abbott Library?

Printers and scanners are available at the Library (only black and white). Students can print using the computers available on the main floor.

I am a Continuing Education student. How can I get library access?

Continuing Education students enjoy the same privileges as Day students. Our online resources are available 24/7 and they may come and use the library services on site during opening hours.

How can I access electronic resources from the Library?

All links to electronic resources (e-books, e-videos, academic databases, electronic newspapers, etc.) are available through our catalog. Also, please note that those resources are accessible from off-campus as well, using your student ID number.

Where is the book collection located in the Library?

The John Abbott Library has a collection of over 65,000 physical documents which are located primarily in the basement and on the second floor of the Library. Computers are available to access the catalog and find the required titles.

Can I use borrow a laptop at the Library?

Media Services loans out audio-visual and electronic equipment to students. Students go in person to Media Services (on the second floor of the library). Students may also use one of the computers located on the first floor of the library or the third-floor lab, when not in use.

Does the library have popular fiction?

The Library has a growing collection of popular fiction and graphic novels which are located on the main floor of the Librar

Who do I contact for further information?

Questions can be sent by email to or by phone to 514-457-6610 ext. 5331

OPUS Transportation

What bus routes service the college?
  • STM : 200, 211, 212, 405, 411, 419
  • EXO (La Presqu’île sector) 7, 35, 44, 45, 335
  • EXO (Train) : Vaudreuil-Hudson line (10 minutes walk)
Is there a reduced fare for students using public transportation?

Students who are registered full-time at an educational institution recognized by the government are eligible for the reduced-fare OPUS card.

How does a student apply for their reduced-fare OPUS card?

Students can apply online through the JAC portal as of August 1st once their registration process is complete. Alternately students can apply in-person at the Berri-UQAM metro station with a form stamped by the College.

Do you have to re-apply every year?

Yes, reduced-fare OPUS cards expire at the end of October following the school year they were issued. A new one must be ordered after August 1 of every school year.

Where can we get more information about fares, schedules and routes?

The easiest way is to visit the websites of the transportation agencies. If you need help feel free to stop by Student Activities in room H-159 or send us a message by MIO or e-mail at


What is the Sandbox?

The Sandbox is a student-centric innovation and entrepreneurship hub at John Abbott College. Our mission is to engage students from all disciplines to solve real-world problems, develop their own projects and gain experience. The Sandbox Challenge takes place every semester.

What is the level of commitment required?

Students who commit to the Sandbox Challenge are required to attend four workshops to help guide them through their project development. Students are also paired with a mentor and are expected meet with them regularly. At the end of the semester, the teams “Pitch” their project to a panel of judges and a winner is chosen. Those who compete during the winter semester are eligible to participate in the Student Innovation Gala, held in partnership with Gerald-Godin and Vanier Colleges.

Who can participate?

Anyone can participate in the Sandbox! No prior entrepreneurial experience is necessary. Business and social entrepreneurship projects are welcome. Students work on their projects in teams of at least three people. It is required that each team has students from at least two different programs, in order to lend a diversity of skills and academic backgrounds to the project‘s development.

Does participation count for course credit?

No, the Sandbox is an extra-curricular program. However, the Sandbox helps students to develop important soft-skills that will help them in their academic and professional careers. Previous Sandbox participants have testified to learning strong leadership, project development, teamwork and public speaking skills. Participants are also eligible for the Student Involvement Recognition (S.I.R.) program, which is noted on the students’ college transcript. For more information about the S.I.R. program, see

Sports & Recreation

What does the Sports and Recreation department do?

We oversee extracurricular sports activities for our students. There are varsity teams which compete in the RSEQ/CCAA leagues. There are also tournament teams and intramural activities for students and staff.

Why is getting involved on a varsity team important?

It adds to the overall student experience at JAC. Our student athletes show better engagement and benefit from additional academic support. Over 60% of our student athletes have an average over 80%.

How can my son/daughter join a team?

Most teams have open tryouts once classes start. Our tryouts page has all the start dates and the coaches contact info

What varsity teams are at John Abbott College?

There are 19 teams currently:

  • BASKETBALL – Men & Women
  • GOLF – Men & Women
  • HOCKEY – Women
  • RUGBY – Men & Women
  • SOCCER – Men & Women
  • SWIMMING – Men & Women
  • VOLLEYBALL – Men & Women
  • CROSS COUNTRY – Men & Women
What are the fees?

Fees vary by sport; a full list is available upon request.

How can you reach us?

Sports Centre

What does the Casgrain Sports Centre do?

The Sports Centre offers equipment rental for Physical Education classes during the day. You may also borrow equipment for personal use. We offer free staff and student hours for the pool, weight room, squash courts and gymnasiums. These hours vary every semester depending on the availabilities.

How can my son/daughter apply to work at the Sports Desk / Lifeguard?

The Sports Centre and the pool hires new students every year. They may apply through the Student Employment Centre.

What memberships are available at John Abbott College?

Pool Membership
Weight Room Membership
Squash Membership

What are the fees?

Students get a 50% discount on annual memberships. You will find all the information on the Sports Centre website,

What are the opening hours?

Students have access to the following facilities for free, from Monday to Friday:

  • Small Weight Room: from 8h00 – 16h00
  • Large Weight Room: variable hours during the day per semester (when Physical Education classes are not occurring)
  • Squash Courts: variable hours during the day per semester (when Physical Education classes are not occurring)
  • Pool: from 12h30 – 13h30
How can you reach us?

Student Activities

What does the Student Activities department do?

Through the Student Activities department, John Abbott offers the most comprehensive opportunities for students to enrich their personal development and college experience. Students are encouraged to get involved so that they can meet new friends and express new ideas. It can sometimes be overwhelming with 6500 students on campus. Getting involved will allow a student to find their own space at John Abbott.
Student Activities department:

  • Acts as advisors to student government, clubs, school newspaper and radio station
  • Develop social, cultural, educational, health and awareness activities
  • Develop learning opportunities through life skill courses and leadership opportunities
  • Organize theme weeks and special events. Examples include Carnival, Multicultural Week, Variety Shows and Orientation for new students
  • Organize and coordinate extra-curricular trips
Why is getting involved in student life important?

Student Activities takes the holistic approach to education and the development of the student. Students will develop critical thinking skills, character, citizenship, social and leadership skills through involvement in student governance, clubs, college committees, leadership opportunities, volunteerism and project/event development.
Students learn the importance of commitment, time management, communication and teamwork. They will meet new friends who are like minded, develop a sense of belonging to the college, have a higher level of satisfaction with their college experience and generally do better academically.

How can my son/daughter get involved?

There are many ways to get involved at John Abbott.

  • Join a club or student government
  • Join a college committee to promote student rights
  • Help plan a special event by joining an organizing committee
  • Volunteer for one of the many Student Services departments
  • Sign up for one of the many life skill courses
  • Come by Student Activities to see an advisor with an idea or creative initiative you would like to see happen
What clubs exists at John Abbott College?

There are over 40 student-led clubs that students can join. There is something for everyone. If one does not exist, then we welcome students to start a new one with the help of one of the Student Activities advisors. Here is a list of clubs that new students can join in the Fall:

Animal Lovers Club
AAPI (Asian)
Arts & Craft
Black Student Union
Book Club
Bullet Journaling
Concert Band
Dungeons & Dragons
Hiking and Camping
JAC Equalist Alliance
JAC Harvest
JACMUN (Model United Nations)
KPOP Dance
MSA (Muslim Student Association)
Musical Theatre Club
Queer Hub
Rock Climbing
Smash Bros
South Asian Student Association
Spirit Team
What are life skills courses?

Life skill courses are mini courses that teach basic skills while in a fun setting. Most courses have a small fee associated with them. Examples include:

  • Bartending
  • Cookie Decorating Workshop
  • Cooking
  • Essential Oils
  • First Aid & CPR (includes certification)
  • Group Fitness Courses
  • Income Tax
  • Self Defense for Women
  • Sign Language (ASL)
What additional services does Student Activities offer?

In addition to planning activities and events, Student Activities is responsible for the following:

  • John Abbott ID Cards
  • Distribution of the College agenda book
  • Operation of the Oval Coffee House
How can you reach us?

In person: We encourage students to visit our office located in Herzberg 159
MIO: Student Activities

Student Diversity & Inclusion

What is the role of the Student Diversity & Inclusion Office?

To foster awareness of the value that diversity and inclusion brings to the ongoing development of JAC students through resources, training, and events that are centered on empathy, identity, and resiliency. As a result, students can:

  • Become more in-tune with their own identities, and those of others.
  • Become more aware of the cultural similarities and differences in the people around them.
  • Become more resilient and develop the skills necessary to thrive in society.
  • Become more inspired to help make the world a better place for themselves and others.
Who does the Student Diversity & Inclusion Office work with?

We engage and collaborate with students in the implementation of activities, resources, and college wide events.

We guide, mentor, and support students both through training that we offer and through awareness activities that students lead.

A key component for the office is to create opportunities for students to practice their intercultural communication, project management, teamwork, and leadership skills which benefits them personally, academically and professionally.  In collaborating with the Diversity & Inclusion Office, students can become eligible for the Student Involvement Recognition (S.I.R.) program noted on the students’ college transcript. For more info, see

What are examples of training and events?
Centered on the themes of empathy, identity and resiliency:
  • Perspectives Speaker Series: External subject matter experts, guest speakers, and social change agents, whom have resiliently faced adversity, are invited to talk about Diversity & Inclusion related topics from their perspective. They help to foster community engagement by sharing their personal stories, describing their work and community activism, and answering questions on how students and the JAC community can help.
  • VOICES Discussion Forums: Provide students with a forum for discussion regarding the social and racial unrest that they are observing. Current students share their personal stories, realities, challenges, insights and triumphs around common themes.
  • RISE: Training Workshops on – Resiliency – Inclusion – Skill Building – Engagement RISE is a holistic training program comprised of a series of 9 weekly workshops focused on building resilience in all aspects of students’ lives. These workshops are designed to equip and empower students with key mental health strategies, tips to increase resiliency, and effective study skills. These help prevent and mitigate academic or health related distress. Students from all programs and backgrounds come together to create a close cohesive group who are all learning strategies in an inclusive supportive positive atmosphere.
  • Collaborative college wide events: Examples include:
    • Multi-Cultural Week
    • Pink Shirt Day (Anti-Bullying)
    • International Women’s Day / Girl’s Day / Men’s Day
    • Indigenous Awareness Events: Orange Shirt Day – Red Dress / Moose Hide Campaign
    • International Day Against Homophobia/ Biphobia/ Transphobia
    • Workshops and Webinars: Offered outside of and within classes and programs. Examples of topics include:
      • Diversity Dimensions and Intersectionality
      • Unconscious Bias
      • Strengthening Connections: Creating a Positive Inclusive Climate
      • Resilience
      • Gender and Sexual Diversity
      • Trans Awareness
      • Anti-Bullying and How to be an Ally
      • Understanding Micro Aggressions
      • Neurodiversity Overview
      • Growth Mindset and Perspectives
      • Intercultural Communication Skills
What are examples of Resources:
  • Contacts and pamphlets of internal and external resources and events of community services and organizations that represent various populations and causes.
  • Ally toolkits to learn even more about how to be an ally for marginalized populations.
  • Intercultural and Citizenship Calendars that represent the cultural diversity in our school.
  • Display Cases, TV slides around campus filled with posters, information, personal artifacts, and JAC Library Media Services resources relating to Provincial, National, and Internationally recognized significant historical dates, themes and remembrances (ex: International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination, Disability Awareness Days, Holocaust and Genocide Awareness, Anti-Poverty Month, Human Rights, United Nations Sustainable Development Goals, 16 Days of Global Activism etc.)
  • The Diversity and Inclusion Community Page on My JAC Portal and the College News: Links to helpful and important diversity and social equity internal and external resources in various mediums.
  • Trans Support Groups: Run for and by Trans People. A place for friendship & support.
  • Serves as a resource for our LGBTQ2+ community and advisor of Queer Hub.
Where is the office located on campus and online?
Contact information where more specific questions can be addressed?

Audrey Gail Greenberg, (M.Ed; B.A. Psych, CAPP, Naturotherapist, Certified Equitable & Inclusive Leader) Chairperson, Student Diversity & Inclusion Office – Student Services

Telephone: 514-457-6610, ext: 5816

Email or MIO: or

Student Employment Centre

Is the Employment Center ONLY for jobs on campus?

No, jobs are uploaded and updated daily for Montreal and the surrounding area. All jobs are accessible to students 1 year post graduation.

How can I apply to work on campus?

All job postings will be posted on Omnivox on the “employment center module. When you see a job posting that you are interested in applying to, you upload your class schedule and a copy of your CV and submit it online.

Is it a first come first serve basis for the jobs available?

No, you will be hired based on whether or not your schedule matches the needs of the department.

Do I need to have previous work experience to work on campus?

No, you do not need to have previous work experience to apply.

What are the pre-requisites to work on campus?

You must be a full-time registered or deemed full time, John Abbott student who is in good academic standing. Students who are on academic probation are not eligible to work on campus. You must also be eligible to work in Canada.

What are the most amount of hours I can work if I am hired?

A student cannot work more than 12 hrs per week.

Student Involvement Recognition (SIR)

What does S.I.R. stand for?
Student Involvement Recognition.
S.I.R. is a government program for all CEGEP students. The program formally recognizes their extra-curricular involvement each semester. Eligible students will receive a notation on their official John Abbott College transcript when they graduate.
What are the eligibility requirements?
  • Be involved with an activity (can be more than one type or group) for a minimum of 60 hours within one semester.
  • Be a full-time student during the period of involvement.
  • Be in good academic standing.
  • Students may not obtain ANY form of compensation or course credit.
What are examples of involvements?
  • Volunteering for different events at John Abbott or within the community.
  • Being a member of a club or a sports team, at John Abbott or within the community.
  • Being part of a committee, an organization or a fundraiser.
  • Volunteering as a Peer Tutor or a Lab Assistant.
Can a student get more than one S.I.R. per semester?

A student can get up to three S.I.R. notations per semester on their official transcript. There are seven different categories that are recognized:

  • Artistic and Cultural Activity
  • Community and Social Activity
  • Educational and Academic Related Activity
  • Entrepreneurial Activity
  • Political Activity
  • Science Related Activity
  • Sports and Athletic Related Activity
Why would a student want to try to get an S.I.R. notation?
The S.I.R. notification is added to your CEGEP transcript and can be used to show your accomplishments for university admissions and on scholarship applications.By being involved, students are enriching their life as well as the lives of others. Students develop values, skills and competencies that complement their academic achievements at John Abbott College.  Students are formally recognized for the difference they make in their communities.  


What does Sustainability mean at John Abbott College?

John Abbott College defines sustainability in a pluralistic and holistic way, so as to encompass human and environmental health, social justice, quality education, and a better world for future generations.
JAC uses the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) as a framework through which to approach Sustainability. Part of the UN’s 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, the SDGs provide a shared blueprint for peace and prosperity for people and the planet, now and into the future. They recognize that ending poverty and other deprivations must go hand-in-hand with strategies that improve health and education, reduce inequality, and spur economic growth – all while tackling climate change and working to preserve our oceans and forests.

How can I contribute to sustainability on campus?

Students are encouraged to participate in existing projects or contribute new ideas for sustainability projects on campus. They can do so by joining an “Eco” club, such as: Eco JAC, JAC Harvest, Trash Talk or the Vegan Club. Students can also voice their ideas and comments through SUJAC’s Congressional Sustainability Committee or by visiting the office of the Student Life Counsellor responsible for sustainability activities on campus.

What is the Sustainability Committee and what are their responsibilities?

The Sustainability Committee is made up of representatives from the college community. This includes student representatives from SUJAC’s Congressional Sustainability Committee. They address sustainability issues on campus and make recommendations to the Director’s Table.


What is SUJAC?

SUJAC stands for the Student Union of John Abbott College. It is a group of 6 students who work on behalf of their peers. SUJAC’s  mandate is to defend student rights, promote their interests, and represent them before the College and other organizations. On a day to day basis, SUJAC organizes activities, helps manage student-led clubs, offers financial support and awards, and assists any student with academic or teacher-related issues.

Who is the SUJAC President?

The President is the main spokesperson for John Abbott’s student body and oversees the running of the student union as a whole. He or she leads the Executive team while supporting the vice-presidents in their individual roles when needed. The President is tasked with ensuring that both the Executives and Congress abide by SUJAC’s Constitution. SUJAC’s President traditionally sits on the Board of Governors, the College’s highest decision-making body, in order to effectively promote student interests to the administration. Furthermore, he or she may chair and call for the meeting of the Statutes and Statements Committee. The President is also expected to attend all Congress meetings.

Who is the SUJAC VP Internal?

SUJAC’s VP Internal is in charge of our student Congress, clubs and student life. This role is extremely in touch with the student body. Whether it’s planning activities, helping clubs or coming up with new initiatives around the College for our students, the VP Internal is always busy trying to improve our campus life. Like aforementioned, this role includes having to manage Congress with the help of the chairperson. Congress is a great opportunity for students to make their voices heard on issues that impact them. JAC’s administration is always looking for students to sit on committees and to give them feedback on what’s going well… and what’s not. With our extensive clubs list and their amazing leadership, we aim to have a campus where no one is left out. If there’s one thing to remember about John Abbott College, it’s that we’re one big family—and our student union is right at the centre of it.

Who is the SUJAC VP Academic?

In addition to deliberating with the other SUJAC Executives, the person in the position of the Vice-President of Academics plays a significant role in students’ success. The VP Academic advises students on various academic-related matters that are encompassed within IPESA, the Institutional Policy on the Evaluation of Student Achievement. This document is basically a list of student rights and responsibilities that the College must respect. The VP Academic is also ideally a people person given they will encounter very worried or uneasy students who they must ultimately comfort and guide through the necessary College processes.

Who is the SUJAC VP Finance?

The VP Finance of SUJAC’s role is to handle the union’s expenses and help students with any financial concerns they may have. This includes approving expenditures as well as club budgets. The VP Finance works to ensure affordability for students and to inform the student body of the financial resources offered on campus.

Who is the SUJAC VP External?

The primary role of the Vice President External is to serve as the representative of SUJAC for external organization and third parties. One such role is preserving relations with regional collegiate student associations to coordinate intercollegiate activities and exchange ideas and initiatives. Moreover, the VP External is responsible for bringing off-campus opportunities to students to enrich their John Abbott College experience. Furthermore, the VP External is responsible for advocating for student interest and voices regarding external matters.

Who is the SUJAC VP Communications?

The job of the VP Communications is to interact with students using social media and Omnivox to promote clubs, activities, and events, as well as to manage the SUJAC website. VP Communications is even more important for blended learning education as students need to feel connected with each other and the college. VP Communications also promotes challenges and contests (with prizes) through social media to incentivize student participation at the college. The VP Communications, like the other SUJAC Executives, attends the weekly team meetings and also attends weekly Congress meetings to get feedback from the student voice.

What is Congress?

Congress is a group of thirty to forty students who meet weekly to discuss issues going on in the school and try to solve them. They are the first level of student government and Congress members often sit on committees throughout the school. Working with the SUJAC Executives, Congress can organize events and plan activities for students. Usually, Congress members are the ones who become the following year’s SUJAC Executives.

back Skip to content