The main function of SUJAC (Student Union of John Abbott College) is to promote and defend students’ rights and interests, thus helping to make John Abbott a better place for students. SUJAC is the official liaison between the students and the College, giving students a voice in College policies. SUJAC works on students’ behalf and informs students on relevant issues and pertinent College matters. While every student is a member of the Student Union, SUJAC (Penfield 101) consists of the Executive and Congress.
- The Executive and SUJAC Coordinator are ready to help students with any concerns. Overseeing the entire functioning of the Student Union is the President. He or she is elected in April of the previous academic year as are the four Vice Presidents.
- The Vice President Internal is responsible for all student clubs and several in school activities at John Abbott and also handles nonacademic grievances. The Vice President Academic is the person to see for information concerning teacher grievances and grade reviews. The Vice President Finance is Chairperson of the Student Activity Committee and handles financial matters pertaining to SUJAC and the various student organizations. The Vice President External takes care of external affairs, particularly intercollegiate relations with student governments of other colleges.
- The student Congress has responsibility for voicing student concerns at College committee meetings and conducting surveys and petitions to determine students’ opinion on various issues. Congress meetings are held weekly and are open to all students. Each Congress member represents 125 students. To become a Congress member, pick up a nomination form at the SUJAC office.
SUJAC’s door (Penfield 101) is always open. Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
To learn more about your Student Union, check out our Facebook and Twitter pages.
Associations and Clubs
Here is the list of student associations and clubs currently active at John Abbott. The list is always changing as students start up new clubs and other clubs fold as trends change.
- The student newspaper, Bandersnatch
- The student radio station, CSKY
- Student Clubs:
|Arts & Craft|
|Black Student Union|
|Business Case Competition|
|Free the Children|
|Hiking and Camping|
|(ICC)Indigenous Cultured Conservation|
|Locus Literary Magazine|
|Muslim Student Assoc|
|Ping Pong Club|