Financial Assistance – VOH

FAQs – Financial Assistance

You may qualify for loans and bursaries through the Québec government’s Aide financière aux études (AFE) if you are a full-time (or deemed full-time) student and meet the following criteria: You are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, refugee or protected person within the meaning of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act; and You reside or are deemed to reside in Québec when applying for financial assistance; and You need financial assistance in order to pay for your studies. Students receiving welfare or employment insurance during their studies are not eligible for loans and bursaries.
Apply for student financial aid through your province of residence. FAS can help you with your application and can confirm your enrolment at the College.
The amount of assistance awarded is based on the financial situation of the applicant and in some cases, the financial situation of your parent(s), sponsor or spouse. AFE’s assessment simulator helps you estimate the amount of government loans and bursaries you may receive during the academic year. Please note: The amount entered for tuition should only include your CEGEP registration fees ($162 per semester for full-time day students and $117 per semester for full-time Continuing Education students).
AFE assumes that you are still your parents’ dependent. It is up to you to demonstrate your financial independence by proving that you meet at least one of the criteria.
If you are applying for loans and bursaries for the first time, you will need to create a new account on the AFE website at You will need your permanent code (you can find this on your Progression Chart on My JAC Portal) and your social insurance number. Once you have logged on to your online services account, complete the application for full-time assistance for the relevant academic year. When filling out an application for Québec’s Loan and Bursary program, you will need: John Abbott’s institution code: 935000 Your Program Code Once you have submitted your online application, AFE will tell you which documents they need to complete processing; use your Online Services to submit them electronically. If your parents, sponsor or spouse need to fill out a declaration, have them do it online.
Students who have not yet received their permanent code must submit a paper application for financial assistance. The application is available in the Forms section of the AFE website.
Yes, application forms are available in May each year. If you have been newly admitted to John Abbott, you should complete your AFE application as soon as the online forms become available for the upcoming academic year to avoid potential delays in receiving your money.
In general, once AFE has received all the required information and supporting documents, your online application will be processed within 4 weeks. If you have submitted a paper application, it can take 6-8 weeks for your application to be assessed. Please refer to the homepage of the AFE site to check the current processing times.
The decision and assessment of awarded financial assistance will be available in your Online File. You will receive an email asking you to check your file using your Online Services. If this is your first time applying for financial assistance, you’ll need a Guarantee Certificate. Aide financière aux études will notify you by email when it’s available via your Online Services. You’ll need to print the document and present it to your financial institution to have your loan and any bursaries deposited directly into your account. Students with loans only will receive a single payment at the beginning of each term. Students receiving loans and bursaries will have a larger sum deposited into their account at the start of the term, with additional aid in the form of monthly deposits. More information can be found here.
The loan part of your financial assistance will need to be repaid to your financial institution (bank) whereas the bursary component of your financial assistance does not need to be paid back.
All deposits are made as a loan throughout the academic year. At the end of each academic year, AFE confirms your income with the information provided to Revenu Québec and does a loan to bursary conversion at which time your bursary is removed from your loan debt.
You are not expected to pay back your loan while you are a full-time student (or deemed a full-time student) but interest is calculated starting the month after your studies come to an end. You will be expected to start paying back your loan 6 months after the end of your studies. If you want to pay back your student loan more quickly, contact your financial institution directly as soon as you finish your studies to establish an agreement.
If you already have an active request for financial aid, our Financial Assistance Services office will automatically provide AFE with proof of your enrolment. Should you require proof of enrolment for any other reason (e.g., to defer payment on your student loan), contact us.
You are required to notify AFE of any changes in your personal situation as soon as possible since any changes could affect the amount of financial assistance to which you are entitled. This should be done by completing a Declaration of Change under the full-time forms section of your AFE Online Services.
You are required to confirm your financial resources twice each award year, (in September and January), in order to avoid suspension of payments. You will received a notice from AFE when it is time to confirm your financial resources.
At the end of each academic year, the income you reported to the AFE is verified against the information you declared on your income tax form and held on file by Revenu Québec. You may receive a letter from the AFE asking for explanations regarding discrepancies between the two declarations. Read the AFE letter carefully. It provides precise instructions on what is required and how to proceed.